Thread: Guide Bushings With 1/8" Shanks

Guide Bushings With 1/8" Shanks

A couple of my favorite hardware suppliers make their own dedicated templates for hinges and such. Brusso is one example. The good news is that they are bomb proof solid brass, matched exactly to their hardware. The bad news is that the templates are 1/8" thick. I have a set of brass guide bushings for templates, but the shanks are 1/4" thick.

I'm not having any luck finding guide bushings that have shortened shanks to 1/8". I suppose I could buy a couple one-off bushings and take them to a machine shop to grind down, or try to butcher them myself with belt or disk sander, coarse sharpening stone, or file. But a supplier with 1/8" shanks would be ideal.

Any leads to a supplier? In absence of such leads, any suggestions to grind those rascals down to .119"?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Tom

In the past I've just bought cheap bushings and ground them off to whatever length I need. Don't know of any suppliers.

Yeah, cut them down. A hacksaw does the trick.

I have the Brusso templates and did what Al and Jamie did - hacksaw then a 1" x 42" belt sander.

I've made donuts that I stick onto the router base to change the effective length of the bushing.