Thread: Looking for 220v switch with large visual "on" indicator light

Question Looking for 220v switch with large visual "on" indicator light

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, but hoping someone can say "oh, you need a model Q Blurfl 9000".

I have a machine with sensitive electronics that uses a standard NEMA 6-20 receptacle (220v, 20a). When I'm not using it I want it physically disconnected from power, so I've been manually unplugging it after use. This is a drag, and I find I am often forgetting to unplug it.

What I am envisioning, but haven't found yet, is a simple toggle switch with a LARGE visual "on" indicator that I could install upstream. Something visual enough so that from across the shop I could SEE the circuit wasn't dead. I have found some switches with little itty-bitty indicator lights, but I'm unconvinced they would be noticeable unless you were staring at them. A "large" light to me is something at least the size of a quarter, preferably bigger.

Yes, I know I could wire up something myself, but this seems like it should be something pretty common (everything downstream from this switch is "on"!). In my mind it seems like it would be common in an industrial setting...

Does this make sense? What am I looking for?

Sorry, I've never heard of a switch like that. I use these switches with pilot lights, both 110 and 220v, but the light is not LARGE - the handle is illuminated red when the switch is on. Perhaps this is the "itty bitty"" lighted switch you mention but I can see it fine from across the shop. I use a 110v version to let me know if I left the light on the the attic space.
    https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-1222-.../dp/B003AUIE1E

But if I wanted a LARGE light to indicate a hot 220v circuit I'd do what you said you didn't want to do and just wire a 110v light fixture to one of the hot sides and common. If making sure the circult is off is extremely important I might even wire in two bulbs, one on each side of the circuit so it wouldn't trick me if one of the bulbs burned out.

There is also a night light that fits into a single switch box so it would be easy to use a double box and put the switch on one side and the light on the other.
    https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-6527-.../dp/B002NWTEUK
    Most I've looked at have a sensor let them come on only when the room is dark but it should be easy enough to block it with a piece of black tape.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hash View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, but hoping someone can say "oh, you need a model Q Blurfl 9000".

I have a machine with sensitive electronics that uses a standard NEMA 6-20 receptacle (220v, 20a). When I'm not using it I want it physically disconnected from power, so I've been manually unplugging it after use. This is a drag, and I find I am often forgetting to unplug it.

What I am envisioning, but haven't found yet, is a simple toggle switch with a LARGE visual "on" indicator that I could install upstream. Something visual enough so that from across the shop I could SEE the circuit wasn't dead. I have found some switches with little itty-bitty indicator lights, but I'm unconvinced they would be noticeable unless you were staring at them. A "large" light to me is something at least the size of a quarter, preferably bigger.
    Yes, I know I could wire up something myself, but this seems like it should be something pretty common (everything downstream from this switch is "on"!). In my mind it seems like it would be common in an industrial setting...

Does this make sense? What am I looking for?
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 07-06-2019 at 4:12 PM.

How about this?
    https://www.amazon.com/MTMTOOL-Butto...dp/B07S348P6X/

Or just hook up a regular toggle switch and wire one of these to it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-AD16-...dp/B01M8ID2BI/

I don't think you'll find something that doesn't require at least mounting the parts into an enclosure...

Easy to find in a contactor stop/start pushbutton station.
    I would just use a two pole switch and install a indicator light, all in a duplex receptacle box. Use a 240 V led type indicator.
    Not sure of amp ratings put those push off, twist to reset mushroom switches can be had cheaply with a led light. "Illuminated" seems to be the search term to use.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    How about this?
    https://www.amazon.com/MTMTOOL-Butto...dp/B07S348P6X/

Or just hook up a regular toggle switch and wire one of these to it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-AD16-...dp/B01M8ID2BI/

I don't think you'll find something that doesn't require at least mounting the parts into an enclosure...
    Richard,
    I'd recommend something along these lines:
    https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-MS302-DS-Disconnect-Industrial-Non-Grounding...&qid=1562497579&s=industrial&sr=1-1-catcorr
    This will allow you to safely switch the full load of the plug, and should (I think) allow you to mount it in half of a typical household, double-gang box.

Install the 'Baomain' LED Dan links to above in the other half of the box. You'll have to get creative with the cover plate, probably custom drilling for the LED. Wire both the LED, as well as your switched load (the L6-20 receptacle?), to the output side of the switch. I'll assume you'll wire the supply from a CB to the input side of the switch. ...Flip the switch and energize both light and receptacle.

Perhaps the biggest issue with your setup will be to find a light rated for 220-240VAC. Most industrial indicator lights are rated for 'control' voltages - typically 24VDC or 120VAC (in USA) and I doubt you want to source & install a control power transformer. Dan's link looks to be rated for full 220VAC.

The "Baomain" LEDs that Dan linked too seem to be the closest to what I'm looking for. Since I would probably have to make my own cover plate anyway, I could use a double or even triple gang box and stick an LED on each side.

Seems to be the ticket, thanks for the suggestions.

That first pushbutton station that Dan linked to looks like two I have in my shop. The switch is only rated for 5 amps or less. It does not latch on. Mine have 240 or 120 volt led's in them. A little more searching to get above 24 volts.
    Bil lD.