Thread: Help with Routing a design into a table

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help with Routing a design into a table

Hey guys, I just have a question for some of those more knowledgeable here. I'm building a desk for a buddy of mine and I wanted to put his logo in two places on the top. The table is approximately 1.75" thick. The logo is basically a JR.

Not sure if this is feasible or a dumb idea, but let me know what you guys think. My idea is to route out the JR about 1/2" to 3/4" deep and on the other side of the table I want to route out a circle slighting bigger then the JR, this way on the top side of the table it looks like the JR is cut out all the way through. Then I'm going to put a piece of acrylic glass on the bottom, silicone it off, and then use color tinted epoxy resin to fill in the JR. Then I want to put LED lights in the bottom circle so the logo glows.

Anyway, my questions are what's the best way to cut out the circle and the JR logo? I'm assuming a router, but what bits would I use? Also, should I cut out the circle first roughly an inch deep and then cut out the JR so it will go straight through the bottom? Also, if someone has a better idea of how to accomplish this, please let me know.

I'm an amateur with a router, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.
    Last edited by Mike McCarthy; 07-06-2019 at 3:21 PM.