Thread: Bandsaw blade for resewing

Bandsaw blade for resewing

I need a blade for resawing some cherry. I will not be doing a lot of resawing, so I only need a blade for occasional use. I'm looking to get a 99 3/4" blade that is 1/2" w by 3 teeth per inch. That size blade will fit my Craftsman bandsaw. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Wood Slicer, from Highland Hardware. https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...aw-blades.aspx

Judging by the title to the thread I think you need needles.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I need a blade for resawing some cherry. I will not be doing a lot of resawing, so I only need a blade for occasional use. I'm looking to get a 99 3/4" blade that is 1/2" w by 3 teeth per inch. That size blade will fit my Craftsman bandsaw. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    James, I do believe that sharp trumps all. Whatever you get needs to be sharp and stay sharp. My carbide 1” resaw blade snapped. I am waiting for delivery of another. In the meantime I am using a 1/2” 3 tpi bimetal blade. I sharpen these myself. No idea the brand. However, it produces as good a cut at the 1”, and it makes me wonder whether a new resaw blade is even necessary. I can only put it down to sharpness - and the bimetal construction keeps it that way longer - and relatively low tpi.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If it's only for occasional use and you are resawing a domestic wood like cherry, save yourself a bunch of money and just get a good carbon steel blade like the Lenox Flexback or the equivalent from Starrett. Yes, sharp is important, but equally important is that the vendor gives you a good weld. I have had good success with Bandsawbladesdirect.com. You may have a good source that is local to you. We're talking about a blade that should be no more than $20 whereas a high end bimetal or carbide blade will be considerably more and not justifiable IMO based on your post.

I agree that 1/2" 3tpi is a good size and pitch.

I am a lurker, and I needed to resaw some cherry last winter for jewelry boxes for my granddaghters. I purchased a Timberwolf bade and precision bearing guides for my Jet. I could no have been happier with the results.
    Tom

The precision guides were from Inturra Design #10002 for Jet $64 for set. Also a 1/2 inch thick catalogue with a wealth of information in it. I split 5 inch wide 5/4 rough sawn cherry as I said with great results.

Tom

Thank you for the responses. Since I am only going for occasional use I think I will choose one of three blades. That would be Lenox Flexback, Woodslicer from Highland Hardware, or the Timberwolf blade. All have good reviews and are somewhat equally priced. The Lenox Flexback being the least expensive. Thanks for your help.

James read the bandsaw blade thread in the forum' sticky threads' this topic has been discussed many times.

There are so many blades available and I've only used about 3 different brands. I have found no difference between Carter's, Wood Slicer (Highland Hardware), and at least one other brand which I can't remember. Generally I use a 1/2" blade with 3 or 4 teeth per inch on my 14" Rikon.

It's possible that buying a carbide tipped blade is worth it but it's hard to know whether the additional cost equals the cost of replacing others when they dull. It's always seemed close to a break-even proposition to me.

To me, the setup of the bandsaw is the important thing. Getting that right contributes at least as much to the results of resawing. Sure you need a sharp blade but, if the saw isn't setup correctly the result still won't be the desired one.