Thread: Arm R Seal

Blog Entries

Arm R Seal

Hi all,

I'm having a really hard time finishing with this coating. Is it NOT self leveling? I tried a foam roller, I tried a rag... and I'm failing big time to get a smooth finish. I do not have the option of spraying.

I'm wiping off the excess, but every time I touch the finish, you can see where the rag / brush touched it. Will this go away with polishing?

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

ARS is a wipe on varnish. Don't wipe it off. I use a paper towel to apply it, but however you apply it apply it in full length strokes if possible and do not go back over it or it will drag and streak just as you described. Scuff sand between coats to remove dust nibs and level any ridges. 3 to 5 coats should give a nice finish on most woods.

John

Blog Entries
    Like the shop towels?

I've used both the blue paper shop towels and cheesecloth with good results. Get it on and don't touch it again seems to be the rule.

I use tshirt material. Folded so there are no wrinkles. Very thin coats...maybe 5-6.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I use tshirt material. Folded so there are no wrinkles. Very thin coats...maybe 5-6.
    That in addition to the blue shop towels is what I use.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

A lot of wiping varnishes that I have used tend to get thicker as you near the bottom of the can.

I usually get the best finish when I am least particular about it: add a little mineral spirits. dip a half of a blue shop towel into the finish, make sure it's not dripping wet. Wipe it on quick and broad. Check in raking light for missed spots quickly, and swipe any missed areas. Then leave it alone.

After an interim sanding, sometimes it takes 2 coats for the sheen to become even again. It's best when I'm not concerned with it; if I futz with the first coat, it sometimes messes up the subsequent coat's sheen too.

I will also mention that all finish problems become worse the thicker the film; if you are aiming for a thin film, the above works fine. If you want a thicker film, then you can't be as cavalier as I imply.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Like the shop towels?
    Yes, the blue paper shop towels work well for me.

Prashun offered a good suggestion, too, if you still have problems with streaking - add a little mineral spirits to the ARS. On really large surfaces it's the only way I've been successful.

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the responses. I'll re-sand and re-coat again tonight and see what happens!