First off there is no perfect woodworking bench, there is only the perfect woodworking bench for me.

There is no perfect material to build a bench from, only what I chose to use. There are some choices for the top that are better than others but that is a different subject.

There is no one perfect style, or perfect sizes, not to mention number of vises or lack there of that can be included..

The following is a record of my present 4th build. I know that for most people especially for the hand tool crowd, the Roubo bench is the only one to have. But about 25-30 years ago I saw a video on Wood Finishing by Frank Klausz and latter on Dovetailing a Drawer by again Frank Klausz. I watched him use his bench and heard him expound on it and I was hooked on the European style because it mirrored my style of woodworking. I did somewhat use the Roubo style, as best as I could, for the left handed side of my bench. And in jest, for the Roubo lovers out there I considered it the back side of my bench

DSC03414.JPG DSC03415.JPG

Anyway I thought I would take you through the steps I took to make my present bench.

I. I visualize very well but a lot of people don't, But visualizing and working through details
are two different animals.
A. First of all the space should define the size not built to a measured drawing and
then try to fit it in the space.
B. A mock up of bench size helps the bench fit the size.
1. Using cheap material saves money if design changed need to be made.
2. By using cheap material it can be reused else wear.
3. It maybe a mock up but you have a makeshift bench to use in the process..
4. Exact width is impossible to hit exactly because it is a glue up and wood
dimensions it.

II. The height of the bench is probably the most important dimension of the whole
project.

A. The thickness and type of material can affect height.
B. Type of work mostly performed at the bench determines height.
1. planning will require a certain height.
2. Assembly may require a different height.
3. spending a little time doing even mock up of different operation may eliminate
a sore back at a latter time.
C. If using a floor mat of some kind it can add over a half inch to height.
1. I use an interlocking floor mat because the required size is not available
2. glued to a 1/4 piece of plywood so it would stop being coming apart in use.
3. .In my case screwed to floor to keep it from sliding around.

DSC03110.JPGDSC03111.JPGDSC03108.JPG DSC03106.JPG

III. Vises effect benchtop design.

A. A leg vise effects not only top design but length of leg also.
B. Shoulder vise effects the height of legs as well as design of the front leg design.
C. Tail vise and wagon vises effects length and placement of the stretchers.

DSC03093.JPG DSC03095.JPG

If you would like more ideas about custom bench building let me know.