Thread: Wire sizes for phase converter and d/c

Wire sizes for phase converter and d/c

Couple of quick questions that I need some advice on. First, i have a new 25 horse power phase converter and I am wondering what size wire I should use to connect it to my main panel? It is rated at 65.2 amps. Would 6/2 work or should I up it to 4/2? Also thinking about buying a 10 horse dust collector from a guy in Missouri and it doesn’t have a power cord. Would 6/3 work for it? What about the run going from the dust collector to the rpc? Would 6/3 be ok? The dust collector is 26 amps.

you can run #8 copper for the dust collector. could probably go with #4 for the power to the phase converter if thats the only motor you are going to use it for. if you are going to add more equipment later you need #2's or maybe even #1 copper to power the converter

Quote Originally Posted by ray grundhoefer View Post
    you can run #8 copper for the dust collector. could probably go with #4 for the power to the phase converter if thats the only motor you are going to use it for. if you are going to add more equipment later you need #2's or maybe even #1 copper to power the converter

Does #2 copper come with only one wire or is it available in 2/3 sizes like romex?

you can get whats called service entrance cable SER will have 2 insulated wires and a ground

Input wire size to the RPC depends on if you are running L1 and L2 from the converter directly to the output circuits or machines rather than feeding the machines from the service and only using the converter to supply the mfg leg. Then you must oversize something like 250% of input amps. That is according to my Kay manual so take it for what it is worth. Dave

Depends on run lengths. Longer runs require bigger wire for the same load to reduce voltage drop. Watch C-list for used wire and breaker panels.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Input wire size to the RPC depends on if you are running L1 and L2 from the converter directly to the output circuits or machines rather than feeding the machines from the service and only using the converter to supply the mfg leg. Then you must oversize something like 250% of input amps. That is according to my Kay manual so take it for what it is worth. Dave
    Well for starters I plan to have the RPC feed one machine until I can save up some extra money and have the RPC then feed a subpanel with breakers connected to multiple machines. Although in both scenarios I will only be using a single machine at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Depends on run lengths. Longer runs require bigger wire for the same load to reduce voltage drop. Watch C-list for used wire and breaker panels.
    Bil lD.
    The RPC will sit directly below the main panel so the wire run will only be able 6ft to 10ft at the most. The dust collector cord needs to be around 4ft long and the wire feeding the dust collector will only need to be around 10ft long at the most, maybe shorter

Voltage drop is only an issue when you get up in the 75 to 100 ft range. It also matters how much of a load is on the circuit. A #8 fully loaded to 32 amps would matter more than one having 26 amps on it. It would be best to follow the installation manual that came with your phase converter as to what size wire to use.

Voltage drop really starts at about 150 feet if not further.

Quote Originally Posted by ray grundhoefer View Post
    Voltage drop is only an issue when you get up in the 75 to 100 ft range. It also matters how much of a load is on the circuit. A #8 fully loaded to 32 amps would matter more than one having 26 amps on it. It would be best to follow the installation manual that came with your phase converter as to what size wire to use.
    Ok bought some 6/3 cord for the dust collector. That is rated for over 100amps so with the d/c being 25 amps I think we are good there. For the circuit that goes from the rpc to the outlet that feeds the d/c I went with 8/3 which is rated at over double what the amps are on the motor plate of the d/c. Used #2 copper to go from the RPC to the main panel. The run was very short at around 10ft. The motor plate on the RPC says the most amps it will run at is 62.5 or something like that. I wonder what amp breaker I should get for it?

#6 is rated anywhere from 55 to 75a. No clue where you got 100a + from. Anyone actually look at the ampacity chart I linked to?