I have a few dozen long boards I need to glue up into large panels. (11' to 16' for each section). They will be about 32" wide.
I'm gluing up from 1 x 6 S4S stock. (So nominally 3/4" x 5-1/2"). They of course all have some bow, cup, or twist.

I don't care at all about the look of one flat face (bottom). But obviously need to be able to glue up the edges then clean up the "top" face.

I started working today and decided that trying to square up each board first was going to kill me, so I proceeded to edge plane them in pairs (so as to limit issues with glue up if my planing wasn't dead 90 degrees). I'm getting shavings the length of the board now with my No. 8 jointer, but when I go to dry fit them there are some small gaps (in the middle) as if the boards edges were bowed.

My longest good straightedge is an aluminum Veritas one at 4'. Everything seems to look good to it. I can't see any bow by eye sighting down the board. If I just keep planing with the jointer, will it true up? Or for a board this long (11' in this case) is even the 24" long sole of the No. 8 just not long enough?

I'll be going back at it again tomorrow as I need to get this done and glued up by Tuesday. Any suggestions on how to most efficiently work would be helpful.

I'm working on an improvised "bench", I make on top of the bar at the job site and some Veritas surface clamps acting in for vices/clamps. (See image). This "bench is about 8' long, I knocked together a bench slave as well for the longer boards. I'm starting on the 11 footers.

2019-07-03 21.48.42.jpg

PS. If anyone is wondering, yes this is amatur hour. And I'm both the client and the contractor for this.