Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Squaring Up Really Long Boards... Tips?

I've heard this lots, pity it doesn't work for regluing popped guitar bridges IME,
    I would stick to waterproof PVA type, like titebond ( "2" I think) for the job.
    Tom

Have 5 Ash 1 x 6s to make into a desk top...
    Computer desk top, 5 blanks trimmed.JPG
    If you want to watch.....

Well I have been called Okie, Texan, Hey You, and many other things. I pretty much answer to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Though one thing that is great with epoxy is it will fill and hold across gaps.

jtk
    This is the most important reason for my love of epoxy.
    As skills in cutting joinery get refined, Titebond works equally good and cheaper.

One other thing I like about epoxy is the open time. I use System III T-88 epoxy.
    Its easily usable up to 30-40 minutes (I think Gel time is 1 hour).
    Even after glue up, minor adjustments can be done for another 20-30 minutes.

Side note:

I like Titebond III. It made me realize how strong is a glue joint. Before that "joint is stronger than wood" was just theory I read on internet and never fully believed.
    A year back, I glued ~10 2ft x 2" x 0.75" strips of wood to make a panel. Panel ended up bowed so I threw it. Later it ended up as ramp for lawn mower (on a step).
    Essentially panel has stayed outside, in ground contact, stepped on, seen rain, frost and all kind of Seattle weather for 1 year.
    Center wood strip split in two half's lengthwise few months back - not at the glue line but the wood itself.
    It looks terrible but none of the glue joints have broken. Both the halves are chugging along.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Have 5 Ash 1 x 6s to make into a desk top...
    Computer desk top, 5 blanks trimmed.JPG
    If you want to watch.....
    Following.