Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wiper blades - no longer sold alone?

wiper blades - no longer sold alone?

Have wiper blades become a dealer-only item? What I call a wiper blade is just the rubber part of the wiper, not the assembly that holds it and not the whole wiper arm. Local auto parts stores no longer sell wiper blades. They sell the wiper blade together packaged together with the other equipment. When I look online, what sellers call a "wiper refill" is more that just the rubber blade of the wiper.

I wouldn't mind buying the other equipment with the blade if it worked, but I've never found an aftermarket wiper arms that actually worked on Toyotas. Right now, I want to replace blades on a 2012 Sienna.

I don't remember where I bought them, but I bought replacement wiper blades for my car not long ago. If I remember correctly, there were many places that sold them - this is through the Internet.

I went for a premium blade because I found the OEM blades didn't last.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

They sure dont sell just the refills at my local parts house. I had to buy the assembly that clips to the arm (which also holds the blade). For two "blades" it was over $40. I was shocked.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I haven't see refillable arms or refills for them for twenty years, at least. The world has gone over to replacing the whole assembly. I don't miss the regular problem of losing the little clip on the end and having the rubber squeegee work its way out while driving down the road

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    They sure dont sell just the refills at my local parts house. I had to buy the assembly that clips to the arm (which also holds the blade). For two "blades" it was over $40. I was shocked.
    The last ones I bought for truck set me back $60.00. Yes they were premium blades but they last far longer than the bargain priced blades.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

When was the last time you replaced wiper blades?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    When was the last time you replaced wiper blades?
    About 2 years ago, I think. They were good quality blades that I bought at the oil change place (bosch blades?). I know the oil change shop prices are inflated, so I was expecting to pay less at the parts store. Ha! Silly me.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I haven't see refillable arms or refills for them for twenty years, at least. The world has gone over to replacing the whole assembly. I don't miss the regular problem of losing the little clip on the end and having the rubber squeegee work its way out while driving down the road
    Same here. The refills were a pain, and it always seemed I would have to fiddle with the arm because I'd bend something trying to get the refill to slide in, then have a funny spot in the wipe pattern. New blade assemblies are great, and I think the materials have gotten better.

The biggest thing I've found that destroys wiper blades is the whitish, translucent frost that can look like condensation. It's abrasive, and wears the blades out prematurely. Now I always check before I get in the vehicle, and I fully scrape the windshield if it's frost. I also make sure I turn off the wipers when I park so that if I start the vehicle before scraping, it doesn't grind them on the frost.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    The biggest thing I've found that destroys wiper blades is the whitish, translucent frost that can look like condensation. It's abrasive, and wears the blades out prematurely. Now I always check before I get in the vehicle, and I fully scrape the windshield if it's frost. I also make sure I turn off the wipers when I park so that if I start the vehicle before scraping, it doesn't grind them on the frost.
    Thats a real good point. May be why my last set didnt last longer. Thanks for the tip.

It's been years since I've seen "refills". I just replace the assembly with the correct sized unit in each position and generally use Bosch Icon or PIAA brand purchased via Amazon.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I stopped buying winter blades about 15 years ago, and I live in Vermont. They were always splitting off at the end of the blade.
    Summer wiper blades without the protection from ice last much longer and work better.
    I have not found just the rubber refill at any of the parts stores for quite awhile.

I don't recall ever having seen just the blade, always the assembly. SWMBO bought RainX branded 'premium' wipers. We'll see how they last.

Blog Entries
    Why don't you contact a Toyota dealer. I bet they can help.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...ec29d7d09f0f45

I buy just the refills from my dealership.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I can and do buy the refills from my Acura dealer. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to last. I can't speak for Toyota.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON