Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wiper blades - no longer sold alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    SWMBO bought RainX branded 'premium' wipers. We'll see how they last.
    I've been using those for the last decade or so. Wiper blades here harden from the dry season sun and get streaky long before they actually wear out, but I usually get three years from a set.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    The Honda dealership just sells refills, which are a fraction of the cost of the whole blade assembly. Easy to install too.

The last time I replace with refills was in 2001 on my F350 That was the only thing that they had as I was in a real small town and had to hit 2 different stores to get them

Blog Entries
    Bought individual Bosch wipers at Costco. My recollection is they were less than $20 for the pair.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Walmart has the best prices on blades. I have not seen refills for 10 years or more. Buy them in the fall before the rainy season. I try to buy them when school starts and install when the first rain comes around October. I replace the drivers side every fall and move it to the passengers side. If it is a really wet year I will end up buying a new one for the passengers side as well.
    Bil lD

I have used different name brand wiper blades on my 2007 Sienna and haven't had any problems with several brands. These are not blade replacements, but the whole arm type.

As a kid I worked at NAPA and refills were the norm. At a couple bucks they weren’t profitable though. Headlights (sealed beams) were $3 too. I used AANCO (the good ones) and had to replace them every year. Now I use Bosch complete blades. About $40 a pair as I recall . They’re silicone and have lasted three years. Just wash the blade a couple times a year and they work like brand new.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The Honda dealership just sells refills, which are a fraction of the cost of the whole blade assembly. Easy to install too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I can and do buy the refills from my Acura dealer. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to last. I can't speak for Toyota.
    Maybe they're better now...I haven't tried them on my current Accord. But the dealer refill-style I tried a couple times on my '03 Acura were a pain to install and wore out and/or tried to go walk-about within a year: it's what drove me to the Rain-X whole-arm units.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Used to be that each brand of car used a different mounting system to hold blade assembly to wiper arm. Now there are only a couple styles of mounting systems, so it's quicker to replace the whole blade. Another plus is the new assembly maintains the correct pressure along the length of the wiper

The common preferred blade is called a "beam" blade assembly. I've found Bosch to be top quality and while not inexpensive they last well and do a great job. Much better than most of the original assemblies.