Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I restored a Millers Falls No 2

I restored a Millers Falls No 2

I found this drill in an antique store for $20 and decided I could breathe some new life into it. I soaked everything in Evapo-rust and then either painted or sanded/polished all the parts. I scraped and sanded the old damaged finish off the wood. I was hoping for rosewood but didn't get that lucky. I finished it with General Finishes antique walnut gel stain and Arm-R-Seal.
    I'm really excited to put it back into service. Some before and after pictures
    IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpgIMG_3293.jpgIMG_3305.jpgIMG_3316.jpgIMG_20190614_165116.jpgIMG_20190614_165125.jpgIMG_20190614_165144.jpg

That's neat. I like MF tools.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's neat. I like MF tools.
    It's super smooth now

I don’t see it in the classifieds! What gives!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I don’t see it in the classifieds! What gives!
    Sorry, this one's all mine

Nice job. I lucked into one in almost new shape at an antique shop for cheap. They are a great eggbeater. Even better when they’re as pretty as yours.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Nice job. I lucked into one in almost new shape at an antique shop for cheap. They are a great eggbeater. Even better when they’re as pretty as yours.
    What a find. And thanks

Blog Entries
    There are a couple of those in my shop. The Millers Falls #2 is a great drill. All my other eggbeaters have either been sold or given away.

BTW, your restoration looks great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There are a couple of those in my shop. The Millers Falls #2 is a great drill. All my other eggbeaters have either been sold or given away.

BTW, your restoration looks great.

jtk
    Thanks, Jim. I have another smaller Stanley Handyman eggbeater that I picked up a few years ago that I haven't done anything to and probably won't now that I have this. Everytime I look at it it makes me happy

careful..these can be addicting..
    IMG_2301 (640x480).jpg
    and...
    eggbeaters.jpg
    Too many? Then I go out and buy ( and rehab) another one..
    Pilot No.55 rehab 1.JPGPilot No.55, rehab 2.JPGPilot No. 55, drive gear.JPG
    Pilot No. 55....about the same size as the Millers Falls No. 2-01 I have....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    careful..these can be addicting..
    That's quite the collection. My shop isn't very big, which helps keep my tool collecting in check. Otherwise I may bury myself

Steven
    That looks great. I picked up a Craftsman by Millers Falls that is a clone of yours. You have done a better job of restoration but I still have a ways to go.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steven
    That looks great. I picked up a Craftsman by Millers Falls that is a clone of yours. You have done a better job of restoration but I still have a ways to go.
    Thanks. Here's a bonus picture that I took that might help
    IMG_3287-01.jpg
    Also, nice to see someone from the STL area here!

Blog Entries
    Great exploded view of the drill Steven.

On mine the handles were loose. My solution was to wrap a shaving around it before reassembly. It held the handle tight for a year or so of heavy use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Great exploded view of the drill Steven.

On mine the handles were loose. My solution was to wrap a shaving around it before reassembly. It held the handle tight for a year or so of heavy use.

jtk
    I couldn't help myself before I put it back together, but I'm kind of a sucker for those kinds of pictures. I was thinking about putting it up in my shop.

Great idea on the shaving. Mine is pretty tight, but I did have to flood some cracks with superglue. I guess it's pretty common for the later models to develop cracks around the pin