Thread: My Bosch router died

Angry My Bosch router died

Rant mode: ON

20 months ago I purchased a Bosch GOF 1600CE - it is the same model it is sold at the USA under model name "Bosch MRF23EVS". I purchased it to replace my "high power" router Hitachi TR12 I had bought more than 25 years before. Both are used mainly at router table or when higher power is required.

I was using it gladly when after a power down to adjust the fence in the router table it refused to run again, despite the LEDs were turned on... after a few try outs I simply put aside my current project, took the router motor out from its base that was attached under the router table and looked for some authorized Bosch Tools service around me. I found some of them at 25 km range from home. It took me one hour to delivery it at service shop and return home. Next Monday I would have a service quotation by e-mail or phone.

I know it happens but it is a little bit frustrating when it occurs with me! I have two other routers but only that one fits my router table, so I will have to wait for the return of the router from service. I had used it just a few times and today was the most intensive use, and even now just for a couple of hours with a small bit... probably it is a manufacturer defect but after 20 months the warranty is due for 8 months.

Electronics is a mix of blessing and curse... when it works, it is great, but despite lots of apologies to use in virtually all power tools and measure instrument, sometimes it fails and usually we cannot fix it at home. I bet they will quote an electronic board replacement!

Rant off
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 07-05-2019 at 5:51 PM. Reason: Typo as usual
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Bosch has great customer service. My plunge base busted on me. No receipt, no proof of purchase. I called their customer service. I sent it to them and they turned around and sent me a new one. No questions asked.

I am not a Bosch fan. I had a SCMS that they stopped making the saw and parts because they had a design flaw with the blade guard. They did nothing for me. It was the easiest way to make the problem go away. The saw ran good but you had to push hard to get the saw to go down because the guard linkage wore. If you used a finger to pivot the guard, it pushed down easy. Safety issue.

Blog Entries
    I had a problem with my Milwaukee router that I hadn't used in a long time ,took it apart, fiddled with it for a while, still didn't work. Smacked it with a hammer and it has worked fine ever since
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I had a problem with my Milwaukee router that I hadn't used in a long time ,took it apart, fiddled with it for a while, still didn't work. Smacked it with a hammer and it has worked fine ever since
    Holy sh**, I had forget that standard troubleshooting procedure! It had worked also for me in the past...

Bad on me! :-)

It would probably make you feel better Osvaldo. Just do not continue smacking it.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    We have an electrician with a magic screw driver in the saw mill - he uses the same technique with the handle of the screw driver. In the saw mill, it is normally sawdust in the contacts causing the issue.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

My Bosch router quit a few years ago, I contacted the service centre and they said 90% certain it was the switch and was not hard to replace. Ordered a new switch and while waiting for it, opened it up and blew out the dust. Router works fine and never installed the new switch. Someday I'm sure it will die and I probably won't be able to find the switch I bought.

Blog Entries
    It sounds to me like the brushes are bad or fouled with sawdust. Aside from that, how “clean” is the power where you live? We have horrible dips and surges here, and it destroys electronics. I put a whole house surge protector in and stopped having issues.

I'm with the sawdust in the contacts crowd. Until the soft start,variable speed, control board went on my Porter Cable, blowing out the motor housing with compressed air brought them back to life.
    Routers in tables do not see dust and debris the way they were designed.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-09-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)