Thread: Beetle Kill Pine Box

Beetle Kill Pine Box

First post on here but I recently finished this beetle kill pine box. I live in CO (where hardwood is scarce) so I have been trying to work more and more with the local flavor. Our local sawmill has a nice selection of beetle kill stuff at a very reasonable price so that's what I went with on this. Everything is made to move with only the dowels glued. The wood was pretty wet still when I planed it down so all of the dowel holes were slotted with the exception of the top hole (after the pictures) and everything can float. Only one crack opened up in the lid that got a bowtie later but otherwise its holding pillows/blankets nicely.
    20190224_162528.jpg20190303_170203.jpg20190309_173119.jpg20190312_204245.jpg20190312_204307.jpg
    Last edited by Shad Schreiner; 07-05-2019 at 3:35 PM.

Hi Shad. Welcome to the Creek! Glad to have you join us!

That box looks great - I love the grain and the way it looks finished. Got 2 questions for you:
    * What finish did you use?
    * What's "beetle kill" pine? Is that insect-damaged kiln dried wood, or something else?

Hope to see more of your work, soon.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Welcome to SMC. I like your design and the finish.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I used general arm-r-seal about 3 coats brushed on. In CO we have a lot of "pine beetles" that are killing huge tracts of pine trees. The only up side is the fungus left behind that gives the wood the blue hues. My finished pictures don't show the blue as bright as it actually turned out but it makes for a unique look rather than straight ponderosa pine.

Nice job. I see you have a dynamic guard dog too, LOL.

Shad
    Looks good. Glad to see I am not the only one that likes it. Here is my first project with it.

20181222_193808.jpg

it called denim or blue pine. I am surprised the big mills touch it down here that a rejected load. The beetle pee is what cause it to stand. a friend of mine sells it kiln dried planed to 15/16 for 2.75/ ft
    Last edited by Hugh Turner; 07-08-2019 at 1:54 AM.
    Hugh
    Ezboardwalk Jr
    Ls 3025 tractor
    Polaris Ranger 500 utv
    echo cs 400 18 in cs 590 24 in
    Makita 2030 ( awiting rebuild )
    Hatitich job site table saw
    cutech 2 knife planer

Welcome. I have family in the Denver area and they've commented on the beetle kill. Nice use of the lumber though.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    Nice job. I see you have a dynamic guard dog too, LOL.
    We had those growing up. Trip dogs, aka landmine dogs. The intruder stumbles over them in the dark.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Nice box and use of the beetle pine. Could use that as a firewood box at my cottage!

Good job and good looking box.

I'll comment for people who don't have access to beetle kill wood - Ambrosia maple is similar. It's maple that was infected by the ambrosia beetle and it looks similar to the beetle pine shown in the OP.

Sometimes it's called beetle maple, or insect maple, or wormy maple. Usually fairly cheap. It can make some very interesting furniture or boxes.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-08-2019 at 11:32 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.