Thread: Problems replying to post

Problems replying to post

Hey Tech Support,

I have tried twice to add an update to the thread about my new shop, The Hall of the Mountain King. Both times, I have entered all the text and started adding pictures and the post was lost. The first time, I went to another app to upload and convert my iPhone pictures. I left the Reply to Post page open. Before I actually added pictures, I had to leave the computer. I left the page open and unfinished. The post just disappeared when I came back. The second time, I did not have a break in editing, I wrote three or four paragraphs and then hit the add picture button and the window just froze. Nothing allowed me to back up, escape or anything. I eventually closed the frozen window and opened a new one. I went back to replying hoping that I could restore. I got about 4 words instead of four paragraphs.

Just thought I would let you know about the problems, (1) that the editor locks up when adding pictures, and (2) that autosave doesn't work.

I haven't got time to rewrite the post again today. I will try again sometime. If you can provide some things to avoid doing that would keep from losing my text in the future, I would appreciate it. I have a love/hate relationship with computers but have learned it is easier to accommodate their idiosyncrasies than to fight them. Let me know of any workarounds.

Thanks.

TW

what I do

Thomas,

Which editor are you using? I post a lot of pictures but have not once had the SMC editor lock up when adding one. If you are using the Enhanced WYSIWYG editor in SMC you might try switching to the Standard editor (Settings, General Settings at left, scroll down to the editors section). This has fixed a variety of problems.

I have no idea what happened in your cases, but I have had occasions where I've lost text due to one problem or another. What I do now is for insurance: As soon as I type more text than I care to lose and before I click Preview, switch away from the browser to prep a photo or something, or walk away for a bit, I use Ctrl-A (Win10) to select all the text and Ctrl-C to copy it. That way I can use Ctrl-V to paste it back if anything goes wrong. If I anticipate some delay I open Notepad and copy the text there. If the expected delay will be significant (such as several hours or overnight) I first save the Notepad as a temporary file so I can copy/paste it back if needed. That has helped on very rare occasions. (like maybe once!)

When composing a long, complicated message with several photos I have also been known to fire up MS Word or something, compose and edit the message with "[Photo: xxxxx]" placeholders, then when done copy the text to a forum message and add the photos.

I too have never been able to get the Autosave to work or understand how it is supposed to work. I've never asked about it, though.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Hey Tech Support,

I have tried twice to add an update to the thread about my new shop, The Hall of the Mountain King. Both times, I have entered all the text and started adding pictures and the post was lost. The first time, I went to another app to upload and convert my iPhone pictures. I left the Reply to Post page open. Before I actually added pictures, I had to leave the computer. I left the page open and unfinished. The post just disappeared when I came back. The second time, I did not have a break in editing, I wrote three or four paragraphs and then hit the add picture button and the window just froze. Nothing allowed me to back up, escape or anything. I eventually closed the frozen window and opened a new one. I went back to replying hoping that I could restore. I got about 4 words instead of four paragraphs.

Just thought I would let you know about the problems, (1) that the editor locks up when adding pictures, and (2) that autosave doesn't work.

I haven't got time to rewrite the post again today. I will try again sometime. If you can provide some things to avoid doing that would keep from losing my text in the future, I would appreciate it. I have a love/hate relationship with computers but have learned it is easier to accommodate their idiosyncrasies than to fight them. Let me know of any workarounds.

Thanks.

TW

Blog Entries
    If you are using the mobile app version this us a pretty common occurance. I switch to the full site when i want to include photos.