Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Fiber Laser:System Error!"

The only part you can align is the 'end tube', it has it's own bracket/support just before the beam passes thru the hole in whatever's holding up the scanhead. Chances are just clamping the new tube in place will be fine...

That said-- I noticed shortly after I got my Triumph that I was losing power at the lower extremes of the work area. Paper shims helped with that!

There is a way to see where your beam is hitting the mirrors, but it requires adjusting the red light so it's 'static' output matches the beam's output. This isn't the same as aligning the red light in the software, which changes the red light's dynamic output, which is much easier to do. The software adjustment allows you to match the red light output, DURING 'RED LASE POINTING' ONLY to exactly match the beam's engraved output, so that what you see is exactly what you get when redlighting, and the mirrors do the adjusting. Depending on your machine's alignment, you may or may not have noticed when engraving the red light path doesn't align with beam path; LED alignment goes away while engraving... All 3 of my machines are off a little, my Triumph is off a ton, and I still need to fix that, but for 99% of the work, it doesn't matter. The reason my Triumph is so far off is because I adjusted the red light to run dead-center on the mirrors, but jobs got in the way and haven't gotten the laser tube lined up to match yet.

Here's the business end of the laser and LED within my Triumph 'portable'
    -you can see the tube end clamped in place to a support. In front of the tube end is the LED setup--
    tube n led.jpg
    --to adjust the LED you loosen the corner hold-down screws, then move up or down the 4 edge adjustment screws.
    Before adjusting, you need to go into the red light pointer options in EZcad and zero out any X and Y offsets.
    DON'T change any ratio offsets, because the laser's output has had it's ratio's changed and the LED ratio's are *usually* changed to match.
    All we want to adjust is X and Y position of the laser and LED as they hit the mirrors...

After some adjusting, I got the LED's really close--
    the left mirror's angle makes it hard to get a photo of, but you can see it's very close to center from left to right:
    shortmirror.jpg

during a long exposure, you can see the full beam path on the right mirror,
    and the 'spot' on the left mirror--very well centered both directions:
    longmirror.jpg

So this means that the LED at least is in near perfect position... After this, the trick is to align the fiber beam to match the LED beam, which will require shimming the tube's radial bracket and/or the support itself. This is what I haven't done yet, but I should! (Near) perfect beam-to-mirrors alignment will insure the beam will always hit mirror, and assuming the lens and mirror alignment is good (how to know that--??) the beam paths should be perfectly vertical when in home position, and should not hit any 'out of bounds' areas within the working area the lens; equal power all around...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Great thinking Kev, that's a good work around. I researched it some time ago and there's a ceramic disc or something that will show the fiber mark but they are pretty pricey and special items. I heard Kapton tape (sp?) would also work but it doesn't.

Chinese machines can be very frustrating. I'm a mechanical guy. I've made a lot of very precision parts and build a lot of very high speed equipment over my lifetime. If you work on a Chinese laser you will constantly be overwhelmed with the thought that if they just spent 10% more time on it, they'd nail it. It's like they get right to the very end and quit. If you have 5 parts that go together and part 1 is out of alignment, they'll spent time shimming part 5 every time instead of shimming part 1. Sadly, I'm not sure anyone cares or wants to care. Imagine if they spent a tiny bit more time on detail and precision. They'd have an amazing reputation and their business would explode.

Great work around though, well done.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Gentlemen.

As an aside, I have not heard back from my seller since she confirmed the source was dead. EBay's guarantee is good for only 30 days, but they suggested and I have started a claim with PayPal. Hopefully this will be enough motivation for the seller.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Unfortunately the seller is in a bad spot. It's not "their" machine. They don't build them so they are just shipping out finished machines they get in so they don't have extra sources. Their supplier in China is happy to replace it under warranty. They'll tell the seller to send it back on the seller's dime. It's a solid $300 to mail it from the US to China, so if you send it back to the US seller, they will have to eat the shipping, twice to China (once to, once from). I feel for them. They are stuck in the middle and in order to make it right with you, they have to lose a fair amount of money. The best they could do would be to send you a new machine and let you return yours. Then they could take your used machine and get the source back to China on the slow method of shipping. China could repair it and get it back to them and they could sell it as used for a discount.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Unfortunately the seller is in a bad spot. It's not "their" machine. They don't build them so they are just shipping out finished machines they get in so they don't have extra sources. Their supplier in China is happy to replace it under warranty. They'll tell the seller to send it back on the seller's dime. It's a solid $300 to mail it from the US to China, so if you send it back to the US seller, they will have to eat the shipping, twice to China (once to, once from). I feel for them. They are stuck in the middle and in order to make it right with you, they have to lose a fair amount of money. The best they could do would be to send you a new machine and let you return yours. Then they could take your used machine and get the source back to China on the slow method of shipping. China could repair it and get it back to them and they could sell it as used for a discount.
    I'm weeping for them....

I have gone ahead and bought a new source. With that, I have messaged the seller (yet again) to see what they can do for us dollar-wise on another machine. I'm hoping she'll "play ball" and I can put this behind us.

Scott, I meant no disrespect. I just have no tolerance for someone/a company not living up to their promises.
    Last edited by Chris DeGerolamo; 07-15-2019 at 8:38 PM. Reason: explanation to Scott
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01