Thread: Hollowing System

Hollowing System

Posted several days ago about Articulating Arm Hollowing Systems. Want to open it up to all types of hollowing systems ie: Jamieson, Transformer, Gizmo etc. My experience is been with Platters Bowels type stuff. Thinking about something that would allow me to go up to 16". Got a Grizzly G0766 22"x 42"

If you want to deep hollow up to 16” I recommend a captured bar rig like the Jamieson or Sinner systems. They both accommodate 1 1/4” and 1 1/2” boring bars which won’t vibrate when going deep. Additionally, you can go 16” or more with a single set up.

I'm leaning that way. Also looking at the Transformer

I’m not familiar with the Transformer system. Is it a captured bar rig or articulated?

captured bar rig

Just checked it out, doesn’t appear to be able to hollow to the depth you want, but have no personal experience with it. Take a look at the Jamiesom , Sinner, and Carter set ups. They are all rock solid proven designs. Another thought is you will need either a laser or camera to accurately hollow the interior.
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 07-05-2019 at 3:33 PM.

One thing to consider when hollowing really deep - - keep the opening small so that someone can't put their hand in. That way, you only need to have the inside wood finish smooth for about the length of an index finger.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Looks like Jamieson is my choice

Good choice! Been using mine for 12+ years. Recommend using a camera instead of the laser. PM me if you wish.

Once you hollow a few its not terribly difficult to get a smooth inside. Just take a few final light smooth passes only hitting the high spots and they will disappear.