Thread: Grizzly G0555LX or Powermatic 141

Grizzly G0555LX or Powermatic 141

I have a lead on a nice PM 141 here locally. New tires, new motor, new switch and 8 new blades. I really like the old iron, so I am leaning towards that. However, it doesn't come with a fence or a miter gauge so I will have to source that if I get that saw. Also, no dust collection on the 141 as I understand it. He wants $650.

Or, for the same money, I can order and have delivered a G0555LX from Grizzly. I currently have a Grizzly TS and really like their products. Also, this saw comes with a fence and the miter gauge. And, for $100 bucks I can increase the resaw capacity on the G0555LX to 12" where I am limited to 6" on the PM141. I don't know that I plan to do a lot of resewing, but having that option is appealing.

Thoughts?

The PM is twice (or three times) the saw compared to the Grizzly, and I've had both of them. I don't resaw on a 14" saw, and miter gauges are cheap to buy used or even make. I'd get the PM hands down.

PM for sure. Those are regarded as the best saw in its class. Offer him $500 and see if you can land at $600 or below.
    You might be able to find a stock fence on OWWM or eBay, or a Kreg will set you back about $100.

I have the 555ANV with the riser block and I would recommend you get the PM. Pick up a Carter magnetic fence, and any mitre gauge you like and you’ll be happy. I’ve been throwing money at making the 555 better and had I just ponied up to start with and gone PM or Laguna, I wouldn’t be constantly irritated at my bandsaw. Not powerful enough, the guides sucked (replaced with carter guides), and everything feels cheap on it. Spend the money on something better.

I think the first question I would ask myself is can you live without the extra resaw height. If you can't then the PM will just be a temporary solution. I would also check on the motor size. I looked at one that was only 1/2hp. It might be enough since you're never going to cut more than 6" but it could be an issue if you have a lot of work to push through it. I had a Delta cast iron clone and while it will do the job and there's a lot of upgrades available it just seamed like it was always needing an upgrade. When i did the math I would of had over $1000 into it so I started looking for a replacement. I the couple months I was looking several PM model 81 saws came up for sale for $600 to $800. They were just too heavy to get the saw where I needed it. So if the PM will do what you think you will want it for I would get it with the idea that you may upgrade down the road (shouldn't loose much value). As for the Grizzly, I think I would look for a welded frame saw (even if I had to wait so I could expand my budget).

I would buy the powermatic. When ya upgrade can sell for what paid if not more but the grizzly will lose hundreds of dollars...

I had a 141 for 20 years. The stock PM fence is nothing special. I spent way to much buying one used. In hindsight an after market fence would be better. Great saw. I had to sell mine to make room for a bigger saw. Now that I have a larger shop I really regret selling it.

Jack I am with everyone else here go for the 141. However there is one exception,if you plan to resaw at all and want one saw to cover the bases maybe consider the 513,514 series of saws from Grizzly. They are quite a bit more capable than a 14'' cast iron framed saw with a riser block. Good luck with your decision.

I guess I'm the odd man out on this one. I have the 555LX and have had no issues with it. I have resawed 6" x 2" walnut, jatoba, ash with no issues using a 4 TPI Lenox blade and using the resaw fence that they sell for it. I don't resaw 12" boards, so I haven't bought the riser block kit. It tracks straight after setting it up using the Alex Snodgrass method. All that is important is that you are happy with whatever BS you get.