Thread: router centering cone

router centering cone

I have a freud FT2200VCE router and I am planning on teaching myself how to cut dovetails on a Porter Cable dovetail jig. I assume I have to center the bushing on the collet. Does it matter which brand centering cone I use?

Thanks.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I have a freud FT2200VCE router and I am planning on teaching myself how to cut dovetails on a Porter Cable dovetail jig. I assume I have to center the bushing on the collet. Does it matter which brand centering cone I use?

Thanks.

Brian
    Not really. It just has to be compatible with the bushing you are using. Most of the bushings are copies of the Porter Cable bushings,and Porter Cable makes a centering tool.I'd just stick with PC for everything.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    My Porter Cable bushings fit right in on my Freud 2-1/2 hp router. The brass mounting plate for the bushings clamps into the base of the router.

Thanks Lee. I kept looking at the router thinking it was centered by design, but kept reading I need to center the plate on the router. My excuse is I'm older. Appreciate it. Brian

Blog Entries
    I haven't yet seen a router plate that doesn't have some slop in the mounting screw holes, so for accuracy, a center cone would be nice to have. There's nothing locally here, have to go online.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Thanks Lee. I kept looking at the router thinking it was centered by design, but kept reading I need to center the plate on the router. My excuse is I'm older. Appreciate it. Brian
    My bushing kit came with a brass adapter similar to this one that fits thr freud router perfectly.
    https://www.rockler.com/makita-template-guide-adapter

like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's really not necessary if, when routing tails and pins, you don't spin the router. The Liegh kit actually includes a concentric adjustable bushing that is used to fine tune fit by offsetting the bushings revision to the bit

To centre the router base plate on a 1/4 inch collet, I install a 1/4 inch inside diameter bushing in the base. Now loosen the base screws and install a 1/4 inch shank bit in the collet. Tighten the screws, and remove the bit and bushing. The base plate is now centred. No need for a cone.

Blog Entries
    I have a Whiteside 9540-62N I picked up somewhere along the line. It allows centering of 1/4" and 1/2" collet machines but, most "cones" do as well. Mount the bushing in the plate, mount the pin in the collet, loosen the plate mounting screws, lower the bushing over the pin thereby centering the plate, tighten the plate screws, viola!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As an added measure of security, after you have centered your bit as well as you can to the bushing, draw an arrow with a marking pen on the top of your router base to remind you which way to point the router every time that you cut dovetails. Keeping the router always oriented the same will produce good dovetails whether you are using a Porter Cable or Leigh dovetail jig, even if the router bushing is slightly off center with respect to the bit. By doing this any error remaining will all be in the same direction and will only show up as a slight offset of the pin to tail board. It will not show up in the cutting of the pins or tails and will be so small that sanding or a light trim of the offending board width will make a perfect joint. I rarely even check the centering of my router bushing in the two routers that I use for dovetailing. They are always so close that just keeping the router oriented the same is all that I do now.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 07-06-2019 at 11:40 AM.