Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type/brand two-sided tape for securing workpiece ?

What type/brand two-sided tape for securing workpiece ?

Hey guys, as I have no jointer in my shop, I have to try to flatten one side using a router sled, which requires securing the workpiece to the sled via two-sided tape. Has anyone done this? If so, is there a particular type or brand of two-sided tape that works best?

I swear by a brand called Intertape 591 double sided flat back paper tape. It has a crepe liner, and it is both strong, and removes cleanly. Amazon sells it and so do other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Newsom View Post
    Hey guys, as I have no jointer in my shop, I have to try to flatten one side using a router sled, which requires securing the workpiece to the sled via two-sided tape. Has anyone done this? If so, is there a particular type or brand of two-sided tape that works best?
    I buy the two-sided tape from WoodCraft sold to woodturners to hole pieces while turning.
    A friend has used it to hold large bowls on the lathe and the problem he had was getting the pieces apart when done turning! (But there is a simple "trick".)

Another friend and I use it to hold pieces of metal and wood on the milling machine.

Not cheap but it's the best I've used. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/d...ape-1-x-36-yds

JKJ

A trick I saw on The Wood Whisperer is to take ordinary blue painters tape, apply one strip to your work piece, another to the mating piece, then apply CA glue to the tape and join them together. I've tried that while planing and it works well. It is so much cheaper than double sided tape. Once your work is done, just pull apart and discard the tape.
    I don't know that I would trust it on a fast turning lathe, but for the planer and other work it gets my vote.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I use the brand sold by Hartville Hardware. The inside core shows “SpecTape” with no other markings. I use a lot of it. Depending on it’s use, the parts are sometimes very difficult to separate although I do not use for planing. Although a roll is expensive, there is a lot of feet on a roll.

i have no affiliation with H Hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    A trick I saw on The Wood Whisperer is to take ordinary blue painters tape, apply one strip to your work piece, another to the mating piece, then apply CA glue to the tape and join them together. I've tried that while planing and it works well. It is so much cheaper than double sided tape. Once your work is done, just pull apart and discard the tape.
    I don't know that I would trust it on a fast turning lathe, but for the planer and other work it gets my vote.
    Hot melt glue is a good way to do this also. Sometimes hot melt can be used to secure pieces from the sides like a tack welder. It can then be cut with a utility blade or released with denatured alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Newsom View Post
    Lately I've been using "XFasten Double Sided Tape, Removable" (keywords on amazon) and it works well for me for general woodworking. (My wife does a lot of crafts, and she was very impressed with it, so I'll keep it around.) It's not high-end expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    This is what I've moved to for many work-holding tasks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I recommend Phil Thien's approach: use a cheap hot glue gun. It holds well enough, releases without damage, and most important for this use, fills space so the planer can't push down and rock or flatten out the warp. Make sure all high corners are well supported. If the spaces are too large for just glue, use a wedge held in by glue. The sled is simply a board that is very flat while you are gluing on the stock. It can be a strip of MDF on any flat surface, such as a tablesaw or workbench. A torsion box is not needed.

Thanks everyone, this gives me some ideas. I actually went to HD today and bought a hot glue gun for starters. Gonna hit Woodcraft tomorrow and will see if they have any of that Spectape.

I also get my Spectape from Hartville Tool. It is the same as the tape at my local Woodcraft, but cheaper. Also there is an additonal 15% discount for WoodNetters - insert WN15 in the Promo Code. Shipping is free and usually next day out.

A roll of #12638 - 1/2" x 36 yards cost me $14.94 (tax and discount) this past March. The 2" rolls are proportionate;ly the same.

Excellent tape - holds fast, easy on, no residue on removal.

I've found this to be very convenient ...

I use painters tape and CA glue and accelerator. Cheap and works great.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

i use a shurtape brand tape found a lowes. it has a distinct light blue backing that peels off. it is very strong, and even stronger if it is pressed thru the planer, or additionally clamped. it does not take much, so i often lightly stick it to my formica table top and cut thin strips with razor knife and straight edge. then peel it off table, stick to project, and peel off backing.

I use Ace Hardware's two-sided carpet tape. It is very tenacious -- probably more than needed for planing. Don't use too much, or you will have difficulty separating the pieces! Leaves a slight residue easily removed with Goo Gone.