Thread: New bike tire prices !!!

Blog Entries

New bike tire prices !!!

Anyone recently replace the rear 16" tire on a '99 Dyna Superglide?
    Called a local dealer. They want over $500 to replace a rear 16" tube tire and balance.
    That does not include repacking bearings.
    Also, that's me just bringing the wheel in
    What has happened ?
    My last new tire was under $250 total.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Also, that's me just bringing the wheel in
    That's ridiculous, even with them removing the tire. My daughter works for a Harley dealer, I'll ask her what they'd charge...

It was about 7 years ago so a little price difference, but a 'generic' bike shop changed out the rear tire on my '84 Aspencade for tire (about $130 IIRC) plus about $50 labor, and they did the removal. Less than 1/2 hour start to finish.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My wife is a triathlete. The new tires she wants will run me over $1200.00. Since she never notices new tools I add to the shop. I’m all in on her getting new tires.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    My wife is a triathlete. The new tires she wants will run me over $1200.00. Since she never notices new tools I add to the shop. I’m all in on her getting new tires.
    Surely that's for a wheelset? High-end bicycle tires are in the $75-$100 each range these days.

I think you got it Jeff. I remember people coming into Blue Wheel where I used to work frequently mistaking the term “tire” and “wheel”.

And $1200 ain’t bad for a high end wheelset!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I think you got it Jeff. I remember people coming into Blue Wheel where I used to work frequently mistaking the term “tire” and “wheel”.

And $1200 ain’t bad for a high end wheelset!
    Matt
    I have sets of Ksyrium's, Spinergy's and Corima's, hanging in the basement, that were more than that 15 years ago.
    I think by the time I got the Corima's mounted and ready to go, they were close to $2K.( Wheelset, Conti Sprinter 250's, and a Campy Record cassette.)
    I remember that the ADA's from Belgium were over $3K back then.

To the OP
    $500.00 seems really steep to change out a back tire, unless that is some really odd sized tire. Tire changes are a bread and butter job for a shop. Hard to find another repair that makes you such easy money, as a tire change.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

As to Bill's tire needs, factory size tire for his 'Glide is an MT90-16 aka 130/90-16...

JP Cycle's website came up with 55 tires that supposedly will fit, not sure how accurate that is, but-- cheapest was $56, most expensive was $196- Of the 55 tires, 18 were under $100...

Simple math says the shop wants $300-$400 labor to change a tire on a wheel THEY didn't even remove from the bike.

--They must not like changing tires...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I read that HD sales are slumping. Perhaps they are increasing revenue from service to offset? idk, just a wag
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Most motorcycle dealers make their money on shop labor. Dollars per hour labor is approaching 100 per hour at most shops. You are being ripped off BIG time. Find another shop, replacing a tire is not that big of a deal unless you are on a Goldwing where half the rear end has to come off to get at the wheel. Better yet, learn to change your own.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Best brand tires for my bike run 130 to 170 and my shop charges a flat 60 bucks to change ,mount and Bal.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Are motorcycle wheels too large for a car tire shop to mount and balance?
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Just paid $171 for fronts and $210 rear for new Dunlop wide whitewall tires for my Heritage Softail Classic. Tubes were $36.95 each. I mount and balance my own.

Blog Entries
    I went with what I had at my disposal.
    Found another HD shop in the iowa/Illinois QC.
    So,I called the other to set up.a time for me to drop off the wheel.
    Turned out, it was the selfsame dealership.
    Anyway, at $325, I got a new tire, tube, angled filler.
    Steep, yes, but nothing outrageous.
    oh, a wire wheel ring.
    The $500 plus must have been the very best tire they offered.

Thank you all for your posts.
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 07-05-2019 at 3:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Are motorcycle wheels too large for a car tire shop to mount and balance?
    Bil lD
    Probably not really a size problem: anything that will handle the tires for a full-size pickup truck will be more than big enough. I suspect the issue would be the "axle" on the mounter and/or balancer: cars don't have bearings built into the wheel. Some bike rear wheels might fit, but I've never seen a front one that would.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.