Thread: Which hinges for 45 degree upper corner kitchen cabinet?

Which hinges for 45 degree upper corner kitchen cabinet?

Hi all,

I've started building my frame-less kitchen cabinets and planning on full overlay Shaker style doors. I've built one of upper corner cabinets which will have a 45 degree mounted door. Now that I'm researching which hinges to use (Blum) I believe I need part #79B9498 listed in their catalog. But I've read of some issues that people have had using the corner hinges and others have instead opted to install an internal stile at a 90 degree angle to the face to mount the hinge to so that a standard hinge could be used instead.

I'd appreciate feedback/suggestions from anyone who has had experience with this.

That's for a blind-corner cabinet. For a 45 degree corner cabinet you can use 79A9498180

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    That's for a blind-corner cabinet. For a 45 degree corner cabinet you can use 79A9498180
    Thanks mreza, I'll take a look. Have you used these yourself? Any issues or tips you can provide?

Yes, but you need to provide a bit more information about adjacent cabinets and clearances.
    Here is my application where I added a 3/4" filler on two side cabinets so the doors clear.

cab48.jpg

The following link shows you the two types available. If you click on the detailed instructions of each you can see where each one can be used.
    https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...=&nbPerPage=48
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 07-03-2019 at 1:46 PM.

Mreza,

For some reason I'm no longer able to view images. Is that now only reserved for contributors?

The corner cabinets will only have 1 adjacent cabinet so I can choose to have the doors open opposite the adjacent cabinets if that simplifies things. This is my first time building a cabinet like this so I'm in uncharted territory, lol. I appreciate all of your help.

Lester,
    Take a look at the following different drawings. The hinge you want to use depends on how you want to mount your boxes (space between them or not) and how you want your doors overlay. You have to account for the thickness of the doors and in particular if they clear the side mounted doors.

https://www.richelieu.com/documents/...1184239_hd.jpg
    https://www.richelieu.com/documents/...1394969_hd.jpg
    https://www.richelieu.com/documents/...1394970_hd.jpg

Either your door is smaller (like first option) or you need to put filler between the side box and your corner box for the doors to clear.
    I've used 79A9498180 (3rd drawing) and have added a spacer between the corner box and the side box as you can see the corner door extends past the gable of the corner box.

Lester-

I am in the process of building frameless cabinets with full overlay doors on Blum hinges for my kitchen and encountered the exact situation you describe: how to spec and build a 45 degree corner cabinet. The threshold question is whether you're going to have the end panels of the corner cabinet carcase have standard 90 degree edges, or whether those also will be at 45 degrees. If I understand your post correctly, it sounds as if you have already built the cabinet and gone with the latter option, in which case 79B9498 looks to be the correct hinge. I opted for the former, as shown in the attached. The hinge for this application is 79T5550.

Either way, my main tip/piece of experience to offer is that figuring out the correct width for a 45 degree cabinet door is tricky. The (excellent) Blum catalog has tables and formulas that, in theory, allow you to calculate it based on desired reveal, door thickness, etc. But in practice there seemed to be so many variables in play affecting the width that it seemed better to hold off making this door and instead mock up the installation in my shop using the actual components and measure directly. I installed the mounting plates in the corner cabinet per Blum specs, then set the corner cabinet between its two neighboring cabinets, which had their doors installed and adjusted to the correct reveals. I mocked up the corner cabinet door using 3/4 ply, deliberately left a little wider than the Blum formula would suggest, so I was able to sneak up on the true correct width. As I recall, it ended up being a millimeter or two different than what the spec sheet suggested.

PS: After writing the above, I noticed your comment that your corner cabinet only abuts a neighbor cabinet on one side. That should somewhat simplify things in that a precise door width is less critical-- you can use the hinge adjustments to deal with the corner door hitting its neighbor, or alternatively, being so far away the reveal looks sloppy and inconsistent, without causing an equal but opposite problem on the other side. But I still think you'd be wise to mock it up as described.

Enjoy building your cabinets but be forewarned: it is a lot of work. Basically, a year's worth weekends in my case.IMG_1083.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Stone (CT); 07-04-2019 at 9:30 AM.

Mreza,

Thanks for the links. I'd like to do what's shown in the 3rd image, but I don't believe the spacer will be necessary as there will only be 1 adjacent cabinet (as shown in the attached image) and the plan is for the the door to open on the opposite side of the adjacent cabinet, correct?

corner_cab.jpg

BTW, how did you determine that the hinge I mentioned (#79B9498) is only for a blind cabinet? There is no mention of blind cabinets in the catalog link I shared, and in comparing the drawing of that hinge to the 3rd drawing you provided, they both seem similar. Is there something I'm missing?

The box you have shown isn't the same as the 3rd link I sent; in that link the edge of the gables are at the same plane as the door. For you the gable edges are 45 degree to the face of the door; like the image David as shown.
    In the catalog you attached, 79B9498 is for a corner cabinet but if you look closely it's for an on overlay (or partial Overlay), not like your box. If you use this hinge then the door for the corner cabinet will hit/bind with the door of the adjacent box.
    If your boxes are as shown and you don't use any spacer between them then use 79B9698 in your cataloge. I think your box and application is the same as what Dave has shown above and this one:
    https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...sku-79B9698180

Hi David,

I built my cabinet based on a design in Bob Lang's book "The Complete Kitchen Cabinetmaker". But he adds some plywood supports just inside the door opening for mounting the hinges at a 90 degree angle so that "regular" hinges can be used. See the quick mock-up I made below:

Corner.PNG

I don't know why he decided on this design rather than using the hinges made for a 45 degree door, but I'd prefer to use the 45 hinges and not deal with the additional supports. But I'm obviously trying to know exactly the hardware I need to avoid any issues. If you read Mreza's replies on this, he suggested the hinge I thought I need is for a blind corner box, not a 45 door. So I'm still questioning which hinge will work for my application.

And yes, I realize how much work I have in front of me, although I have a tiny kitchen and only need 6 more cabinets built (plus the doors)

Mreza,

Thanks for your patience and help, I just want to make sure I understand. Based on the photo I posted of my cabinet and my intention of having the door open on the opposite side of the adjacent cabinet, are you saying that will either # 79B9698180 or #79B9698 hinge will work?

Thanks again!
    Les

The use of the hinge does not depend on which direction it opens. the clearance shown when the door is closed is what matters as when it opens it doesnt go past that. Although openning to opposite side helps as sometimes the doors clears regardless but you have to be careful about hanldes/knobs that stick out. e. g. if your adjacent cabinet has a handle close to corner cabinet and your corner door opens to left in your picture you might hit the handle.
    Anyway if your door opens to the other side you dont have to worry about this and yes 79B9698 is the one I would use.

I'm curious...would the 79B9698 work on the opposite side (side of the adjacent cabinet) if the door pull on the adjacent cabinet was on the left side of the door, farthest from the the location of the corner cabinet hinges? I'm just trying to see what my options are.

Thanks again for the help Mreza!

I think it would work. You can make a sample and test.

Mreza,

Thanks again for taking the time to help me, I definitely feel better about how to approach this now.