Thread: Outdoor acrylic boxes

Outdoor acrylic boxes

Does anyone have any experience with outdoor acrylic boxes in extreme conditions? I have a potential customer asking me to make an acrylic box approx 5”x5” using 1/4” acrylic to display a baseball size container of ash. The conditions would be -35F to 100F and rain/snow/waterproof. I was thinking of laser cutting all pieces and using Lexel to adhere 5 sides together, then having the customer use Lexel to adhere the box floor plate to the base and then have them seal the box to the floor plate with a bead of Lexel. Do you think this would work? Would building the box with PA glue be better?

I don't think acrylic would hold up to uv rays very long

Acrylic is actually great stuff to use outdoors. But "forever", maybe not, the stuff is prone to crazing after several years. Lexan might be a better choice, but I don't have any first-hand experience with longevity other than motorcycle windshields, and they're not always exposed... What about good old glass?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Some good ideas here, I would be a bit worried about stones with glass, it shouldn’t get hit but you never know. I will look into Lexan that is a good idea, I gotta do some research about yellowing and expansion although I know it does scratch super easy. I guess no perfect solutionfor that type of application.

Blog Entries
    I would second Lexan (polycarbonate) over acrylic. The acrylic can get brittle in addition to possible crazing. Now the lexan will whiten/cloud after 5-10 years in direct UV. Look at your car headlight lens. They are all lexan.
    Now you CAN clean, sand and polish the Lexan, but it would be an annual thing after a few years.
    Glass is way more permanent, get tempered if you are worried about cuts from breakage. I would say he's looking at a 5 year replacement if it is outside. Make two. One for now, one for later.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I think -35F to 100F is a pretty unrealistic expectation for a display box, especially made from acrylic and glued together. I wouldn't trust a glue joint or a glue joint on acrylic in that extremes. I have glued a pretty healthy amount of acrylic over the years and I would never tell anyone our stuff could withstand those conditions. I'd probably be looking at tempered glass with a silicone based adhesive.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I think -35F to 100F is a pretty unrealistic expectation for a display box, especially made from acrylic and glued together. I wouldn't trust a glue joint or a glue joint on acrylic in that extremes. I have glued a pretty healthy amount of acrylic over the years and I would never tell anyone our stuff could withstand those conditions. I'd probably be looking at tempered glass with a silicone based adhesive.
    Yes I think this is wise advise. Thank you

We don't have all of the details for the solution you are looking for but based on what we do know I would use a thick glass with UV-cure glue joints.

Whatever solution you use it would need to be air tight or you are going to end up with condensation issues.
    -
    David Takes
    Expressions Engraved
    St. Joseph, MO