Thread: Need help with a belt for my 1940ish Delta 6" jointer

Need help with a belt for my 1940ish Delta 6" jointer

A couple of years ago I picked up an fairly early Delta 6" jointer. It is a model 654. I haven't needed to use it until now. It didn't have a belt on it so before I can use it I need to find a replacement v-belt. This is the first time I'll be replacing a belt on a woodworking machine. I measured the circumference around the two pulleys using an old power cord. It was appx 56-5/8". That power cord was about 5/16" which is less than the width of a normal belt I assume. I'm thinking a 57" belt might work. What is the v-belt width I should be looking for? Is it the case that I'm going to have to fit the machine to the belt? I ask because it seems most of these older belt driven woodworking machines I've seen like band saws and jointers have their motors on wooden bases on open steel stands. Now I'm thinking those wooden bases may be to get the belt the right snugness (is that a word?). I can see no way to adjust the pulleys for play with the belt. Some help/guidance on how to replace the belt and how and where to purchase would be much appreciated.

I know we all like pics so here's a pic of my jointer. Fyi, serial # is 8-1106 so before Delta started recording their serial #s in 1941.

IMG_4205.jpg

Thanks!
    Mike

Belt tension is what you are talking about, not snugness. Just pull one of the pulleys off and go the a local NAPA store with your length measurement. Buy 3 belts, the one you thing is right, then one under and one over. Put on the belt you think and if it fits, take the other 2 back. Don't run the belts on the machine until you get the right length. They won't take a used belt back for a return.

Give link belts a look. Not cheap but they work well. Runs smoother I think. No belt set.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Belt tension is what you are talking about, not snugness. Just pull one of the pulleys off and go the a local NAPA store with your length measurement. Buy 3 belts, the one you thing is right, then one under and one over. Put on the belt you think and if it fits, take the other 2 back. Don't run the belts on the machine until you get the right length. They won't take a used belt back for a return.
    Great idea Richard. Thanks!

Don't get an automotive belt. Where the ends are joined will cause a vibration. If you get one from an auto parts store, get a "fractional horsepower" belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Don't get an automotive belt. Where the ends are joined will cause a vibration. If you get one from an auto parts store, get a "fractional horsepower" belt.
    Tom, where do you recommend I buy my v-belt replacement? Thanks!

My NAPA store carries a good selection of fractional hp belts. They're green, rather than black, or at least at our NAPA store. Those link belts are nice, but do stretch out some, so are a bit of a pain with a machine that doesn't have a belt tensioning adjustment. I did a lot of work with that model of jointer before I bought a long bed 8". It's actually a nice little machine.

Surplus Center sells belts in any size and width you need. I get my belts there and have had no issues.
    Don