Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Articulating Arm Hollowing System

Articulating Arm Hollowing System

Looking at Articulating Arm System. Anyone experienced in these systems would like to hear your recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mueller View Post
    Looking at Articulating Arm System. Anyone experienced in these systems would like to hear your recommendations
    I have the Vicmarc articulated arm hollowing system and am very happy with its performance. I upgraded the tool holder bar to 3/4" to reduce cutter vibration when deep (10") overhanging the tool rest. Original tool holder was 5/8" and worked fine for up to 6" overhang.

I made a "snake hollower" based on plans on Captain Eddie Castelin's web site. I used 1" solid square stock for the arm and was careful when drilling the holes so it is very tight. I bought a 10 foot "stick" of 1" square steel for under $30 at the local surplus steel yard. It was pretty easy to make. It is similar to the Monster hollower.

I am currently using a 1/2" insert in the end of the 1" square hollower. But, if I wanted to do deeper hollowing, I could actually attach a 1" solid bar at the end for insertion into the hollow form.

Some woodturners have metal skills and will tackle something like a hollower and some have skills and interests only in the wood turning or wood working areas. If you have some metal skills, give some thought to building your own.

Here is a thread from years ago showing one I made.Elbo tool or homemade equivalent

Trent Bosch’s stabilizer is a nice system. I been using one about two years. Well built hollowing system.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    Here is a thread from years ago showing one I made.Elbo tool or homemade equivalent
    Richard Madden: you have a nice looking Elbo tool. Well done.

Question: are the blue pieces that are above and below the square bars bearings or are they some sort of polymer bushings ?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mueller View Post
    Guy - I have a Kobra system and it is built like a tank.

(you may get more info if you use the search feature and type in "articulated" or "articulating".)

I have the Gizmo from JT Turning tools. I previously owned the monster system and switched when I needed more flexibility to use different size shafts. The monster was a good tool, but I was impressed on the quality of the Gizmo.
    I'm not into building my own tools. Rather spend time turning. It's a bit pricey, but it is truly the gold standard of the articulating arm tools.

Plus one on Trent's system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Trent Bosch’s stabilizer is a nice system. I been using one about two years. Well built hollowing system.
    RD

Are you set in stone with an articulating rig?
    A few of my fellow turners built their own Jamieson style rigs (I think you can buy one if you don't want to build your own) and I am impressed with how versatile they are. I do own a Monster rig and have the 1" bar. The Jamieson rig seems to hollow deeper better than my long 1" bar....... Just throwing out that info, if deep hollowing is your goal. I do like my Monster. Deep hollowing is not one of the good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Richard Madden: you have a nice looking Elbo tool. Well done.

Question: are the blue pieces that are above and below the square bars bearings or are they some sort of polymer bushings ?
    Thanks for the compliment. Those blue pieces are thrust bearings from QBC Bearings that were recommended by Bill Bolen. Bill was very helpful when I built mine, I had lots of questions and Bill answered all of them. I will mention one problem I had and the fix. The laser was vibrating quite a bit and I solved it by adding a length of conduit that covered the long all-thread holding the laser bar. This was done after the pictures were posted.

vicmarc system

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Delisle View Post
    I have the Vicmarc articulated arm hollowing system and am very happy with its performance. I upgraded the tool holder bar to 3/4" to reduce cutter vibration when deep (10") overhanging the tool rest. Original tool holder was 5/8" and worked fine for up to 6" overhang.
    Bert, do you still have the vicmarc hollowing support? Where did you get the bushing to upgrade to 3/4?

I'm sure there are many excellent systems. I can find nothing at all to fault in my Trent Bosch version. I used his laser holder but installed my own camera system in it made up from cheap parts on Amazon.

i have the Simple Hollowing System from Harrison's Specialties. It works well, but I do find the laser system to be a little on the flimsy side. It only has a 5/8" holder so you can't put any larger boring bars in it.

https://www.harrisonspecialties.com/...lowing-system/
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    Richard the link you posted does not contain any images for me.
    Thanks