Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replace/Repair 3 hp Jet Bandsaw Motor

Yep. That is what it was. There was definitely slop in the shaft and the repair person thought it was likely gonna be worse than just the bearing. It blew up and threw bearings but fortunately they didn't get into the windings etc. And the slop didn't impact the other holding on the far end of the shaft. The repair guy didn't seem to think it was unusual but I also didn't ask. May be just that what Jet makes and what is made by powermatic or made in the past is not the same quality?
    100 Watt Laserworld TH 9060 pass through CO2 laser (220 volt)
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric-Motors/
    another good source for motors.

Motors are an area where companies can save money and consumers have no way to evaluate their quality. Old large frame cast iron motors were less efficient and probably had poorer insulation but they tend to last forever. I've got over 50 machines ranging from the 1920s to current. The only motors I've had to replace or rewind are newer small frame or Euro motors. Better insulation allows them to pack more wire into a smaller container but they run hotter, as do the bearings. The bearings tend to be sealed and since seals are contact seals they also cause friction and heat. That is compensated for by using smaller bearings that can run faster but also have less load capacity so they are stressed more. If I buy a used machine that is less than 20 years old, with a steel frame or Euro motor, I find out the cost of replacement or rewinding and factor at least 1/2 into my price as I figure it is 50-50 that I will need to do some motor work. Dave

Blog Entries
    Grainger has new motors. When you put one on your saw, you will be fixed. You just have to identify the motor you need.
    I have used them.