Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace/Repair 3 hp Jet Bandsaw Motor

Replace/Repair 3 hp Jet Bandsaw Motor

I am looking at either overhauling or replacing my 3 hp single phase motor on an 18" 2006 Jet Bandsaw.

Does anyone know where I can find a decent replacement that would work (even if it is not a JET OEM)

Also, same question, anyone know where I could find a 5hp single phase option? Saw lots of stuff on Ebay but not sure about all of it.

Thanks
    100 Watt Laserworld TH 9060 pass through CO2 laser (220 volt)
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Just interested - what happened to your existing 3HP motor? Unless it burned up, there's a lot you can do yourself to rehabilitate a motor.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, the bearing burned up. I dropped it off to get looked at and, potentially, fixed. Repairman said that given how much the drive shaft is wiggling it could need more rather than less work, including some machining (if the bearing failed enough that the inner race got scored.) I don't have the bandwidth to take on even a small(ish) project like overhauling it. Also, have wanted to get a 5hp on this machine for a while. I do a lot of resawing on it.
    Laser cut 5.3
    JCUT 25S 4.5kW (6hp) water cooled, dual spindles, 1300X2500x300(z) or approx 4'x8'x12" table
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Blog Entries
    I would explore this site.

https://www.grainger.com/content/gra...190702002031:s

I would buy a new motor, you don't want to deal with questionable merchandise.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-01-2019 at 10:30 PM.

First step is to identify the motor mount type. Next is RPM. Go from there.

Used motors are cheap, but depending on age and use may need new bearings and a good cleaning inside.

Hey Daniel. I'd try https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/jet-parts/

They have a lot of parts for different machines. You can also call them. They have US based customer service, so they can help you out and point you in the right direction, even if they don't have the motor.

Thanks for the website links guys. There were some solid options there. The 5hp motors were a bit spendy but there was replacements that were not too too bad. Matt, where do you go to look for used motors?
    Laser cut 5.3
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

As stated, first look at the frame numbers, probably Metric IEC. Then check sources to find out if a larger hp motor can be had with the same frame. Machines have lots of wire packed into small frames now so it may not be able to find a 5 hp in the proper frame size. If not, you will need to swap pulley and belt as the arbor will be a different diameter and located slightly differently. Even if you find a new larger motor in the same size, you will need to swap the starter overloads for the 5 hp amp draw. Normally, I have motors rewound but small cheap motors are generally not worth the effort so new is the way to go. Bearing failure is the most common reason for motor failure, especially with small frame motors that tend to run hotter. Dave

I would replace the bearings. A quality motor will have bearing numbers on the label. Should take about 30 minutes once the motor is out. You will need a gear puller or bearing splitter to remove them. If you are cheap a couple of pieces of angle iron and some blocking with a dead blow hammer should work. Use a deep socket to install.
    To replace biggest problem is finding a quality metric shaft motor or reaming the pulley to English bore.
    Bill D

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I would replace the bearings. A quality motor will have bearing numbers on the label. Should take about 30 minutes once the motor is out. You will need a gear puller or bearing splitter to remove them. If you are cheap a couple of pieces of angle iron and some blocking with a dead blow hammer should work. Use a deep socket to install.
    To replace biggest problem is finding a quality metric shaft motor or reaming the pulley to English bore.
    Bill D
    Yes, not a huge project. You may even find that the old 3 hp runs better than you expect once it has new bearings. Just me but I'd consider doing that first even if I was going to eventually upgrade to 5 hp. It can be done quickly, will buy you some time so you can take your time figuring out what 5 hp option you want, and you can sell the 3 hp when /if you do upgrade.

Bearing cost should be under $30. Get sealed bearings not shielded regardless of the originals. If I was doing this job I would cut the supply line and install a male and female cord end, sized big enough to carry a 5HP motor. it will make the install much easier.
    Bill D

Thanks for all the info. I am tempted to do the repair and/or conversion myself but can't be sidetracked as its my busy season and I would be pretending to be productive by spending time on it at the cost of other things which are more critical but far less fun (even if fixing motors isn't famously fun.) I have lots of great info from this. If anyone has a link(s) to sites that sell used motors that would be great. I had trouble figuring out the right search terms for ebay so I wouldn't end up with 1000 items to scroll through.
    Laser cut 5.3
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

Daniel,
    First of all I googled “wood icicle helmets” and found this article:
    http://www.thebirdwheel.com/wooden-bike-helmets
    Great work! I like to mountain bike so it’s form and function to me.

Regarding used motors, they come up a lot at in person auctions (woodworking, metalworking, etc), can be had from motor shops, or simply on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc.

Replacing bearings would be the first thing I’d do too. This is how I do it:
    1) Mark the end bells so they go back on in the same orientation
    2) remove long bolts connecting end bells
    3) Remove end bells - sometimes you’ll need to persuade it - tapping a screwdriver with a mallet should do the trick.
    4) take pictures of how everything goes together before taking things off the shafts
    5) use a bearing separator or bearing puller to get them off.
    6) reverse to reassemble - putting the bearings in the oven at 250 for 10-15 minutes will enlarge the bearing slightly and make it easier to put on a shaft. Freezer will do the opposite if going in a captured area.

Post pics of you get stuck.

Thanks Matt and thanks for checking out my stuff

I just got a call from the repair guy and seem to have gotten luckier than anticipated. The motor is not done in the way I (and he) had feared. So, I will re install it and use the info here on this thread to more thoroughly search for an eventual 5hp replacement.

Thanks so much. There was a lot of participation in the thread and I hope it comes in useful to others searching for similar in the future.
    Laser cut 5.3
    DSP controller
    20" powermatic planer
    18" Jet Bandsaw

I think its odd that a bearing went. I have rebearing'ed very old Delta machines and one Powermatic machine over the years (15" planer, 2 old Delta band saws, Delta 15" drill press, 6x48 belt sander, old Dewalt radial arm saw, etc) and even the bearings from 1942 were still working, albiet very rough. All bearings were still functioning from the 1940s machines. I can see where if you had any slop from a bearing failing, it could damage the other moving parts though..... Randy