Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deck fasteners

+1 for ceramic coated T25 screws. Whichever brand you like. They come in different colors. I drove 660 deck screws and not one T25 ramped out. I have had square drives ramp out a few times.

I assume I would need pretty loose tolerances in the green wood
    Since M & T are both green and the same species both should shrink about the same so go ahead and fit as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Since M & T are both green and the same species both should shrink about the same so go ahead and fit as usual.
    Should I use glue? If so what kind? Titebond 3?

I keep clear treated lumber drying for years to make handrails, and such, out of. These 8x8 posts had just come from the treating plant when I smoothed them by walking a drum floor sander on them. The railings were made from dry stuff that I knew would now stay straight. I made router templates to cut the mortises. Handrail sections were put together, and after a corner post was set, a section of railing was put in place, then the next post, and so on-no fastenershandrailuppermortise.jpghandraillowermortise.jpg.

These pictures were taken 27 years after I built that house. I should have brushed the spider webs down, but didn't. I doubt these pictures do you any good, but anyway, I remembered where the pictures were. The wrap all the way around this house with a copper roof porch has flooring installed with the first two types of hidden fasteners ever made. I use hidden fasteners on porches, but not decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockenberg View Post
    Hi Gunter,

The last time I built a deck I used square drive stainless from McFeeley like Steve, although I did countersink. I love the look but you should know that the SS screws are soft and you'll have to fuss with a few. I think the Deckmates Tom mentioned would be a good choice too.

Sorry if this was already recommended, but did you put Bituthene over the tops of the joists? This will provide additional protection over and above using treated lumber.

Cheers,
    Mark
    What other options have you guys used besides Bituthene?

GRK Screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Günter VögelBerg View Post
    I've never thought of using glue, mostly because the wood is so wet when you get it. Does anyone do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    GRK Screws.
    +1 for GRK fasteners. Pretty much all I use for exterior projects.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

For you guys that like the GRK multi-purpose screws, try a box of the newest version Deckmate screws. I like the GRK structural, and cabinet hanging screws. I had a falling out with the last version of Deckmates, but this latest version (with the black labels on the boxes), is better than their first version, and Way better than their last version. They start, and drive as good as the GRK multi-purpose, but have a much better, and longer lasting finish. I think they stole parts of the design from GRK.

I have some of everything in our horse fencing, some of which is over 30 years old. Some just for trials, and nothing has held up as good as the Deckmates.

I use self adhesive flashing tape, like you would use to seal window or door flanges to the WRB.

I would use a moisture-cure glue like Gorilla Glue or use screws instead - you might need to take it apart someday.
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 07-02-2019 at 8:09 PM.