Thread: tracing a graphic design for a vinyl cut beach sign

tracing a graphic design for a vinyl cut beach sign

using logic trace 2018 for tracing and also using lines and arcs selection along with
    tracing using polylines I will digitize this diagram and create a toolpath
    for cutting on a vinyl cutter

https://youtu.be/vGThMTUiizA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shooting a digital picture of the image and then using an autotrace function like you would find in a graphics editor or Vcarve Pro to convert from raster to vector would also work. I think you would get as good or better accuracy and I suspect it would take less time. It would not require special tracing hardware either.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Shooting a digital picture of the image and then using an autotrace function like you would find in a graphics editor or Vcarve Pro to convert from raster to vector would also work. I think you would get as good or better accuracy and I suspect it would take less time. It would not require special tracing hardware either.
    I made a simple frame for my phone camera that holds it perpendicular to whatever I put underneath it so that I do not skew problems. That said, I have yet to find a really good tracing program that does not require substantial cleanup or futzing around. What I have become very good at is tracing in Corel Draw. The smart fill tool is my friend. This is a video I did a while back of the technique I use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfRaxjOUR7Y&t=1869s

All this would work but about if the template is 10 foot by 48 in

If the image were 4 ft by 10 ft, I would shoot 2 or more images at the same distance from camera to graphic and autostitch them together into a single image before doing the conversion. No image with that form factor would be easy to deal with. What if you were trying to reproduce a complex logo image mounted on the side of a panel truck?

The raster to vector feature of Vcarve Pro CNC router software as about as good as you will find. It is relatively painless to use if you are starting with a simple clear image like Stan is using. The software is sophisticated and has a learning curve if you are working with less than ideal imagery. In some cases, manual tracing is about all you can do. That is what Stan is doing is his video but he is using paper instead of computer imagery.

in my case I invested in the drawing board 2008 and have been drawing ever since