Thread: Clear coating over Archival Pen

Clear coating over Archival Pen

I have a project handed to me.
    A pine board, stained and then written on with archival pen by all wedding guests.
    What can I use to clear coat over the top of this to preserve what's there?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'll provide an answer as soon as I finish my testing. Appears that others haven't had to deal with this yet, so I'll be sure to post my solution.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Ok, I didn't want to leave this "un-answered".

If a true archival pen was used to sign the wood, you can clear coat it with Krylon Clear Gloss Acrylic spray paint. Just make sure the board and ink have dried for several days or a few weeks before doing it. I had a good result from my project.
    Dennis -

Sure you can. There isn't a lot of difference between an archival pen and a graining pen a furniture refinisher uses. Also some dye stains are closer to being ink than stain. Then the Krylon clear being acrylic you don't have to worry about it yellowing like oil based finishes do.