Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use a Oscillating Multi-Tool for?

Emergencies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you do remodeling, repair, or even new construction with any frequency and you don't have a multi-tool in the mix, you're missing out on efficiency. I've used one for years working as a carpenter and I'm still finding new ways to use one. I approach certain situations and problems with a different mindset with a good multi-tool in my arsenal. It is useful in all types of carpentry work from frame to finish.

For strictly woodworking, I don't think I've ever used one except in really one-off scenarios where I was getting creative and used the multi-tool because it was available, but probably could have done the task another way.

The blades are expensive, but the I purpose specific blades instead of the "wood with nails" blades which don't seem to cut either particularly well. If there's a good chance of metal, I will use a metal cutting blade, which is much more durable than the wood and wood with nails blade. There are also strictly wood blades that have teeth that look like a Japanese crosscut saw that are capable of pretty impressive accuracy and clean cuts even in finished trim / interior woodwork if you have some experience and a steady hand.

Anyone who says they aren't worth their weight to have around just hasn't been in enough situations to prove the point yet. I can tell you that they are as valuable in their own way to the carpentry world as cordless impact drivers have become.
    Still waters run deep.

My experience is similar to most: a crude tool that is seldom used, but excellent at some things. I have used mine as above for trim and cutting fairly straight lines in drywall. But I didn’t see anyone mention its virture of needing little room to operate. For instance, cutting rotten flange bolts from a toilet in a tight spot. Because its stroke is so small, it can get into places another cutting tool cannot.

Seldom used, but very useful when needed. And not a fine woodworking tool by any stretch.
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

I have two HF single speed cheapies. (Had three but burned one up from overuse).
    I keep a straight blade on one and the semi circular blade on the other.

I also have a cordless Makita & have used a corded Rockwell & a corded Ridgid.

Night and day difference between the HF ones and the better ones.

For years I scoffed at the idea that the HF tools did the same job as ones costing three to ten times more money. Not longer.

The big heavy Makita is a pleasure to use. Plus it just flat out cuts straighter, faster and with much less effort.

The HF tool is a great way to get one and see for yourself how much use you can get out of one. Once you find that out, then you can upgrade (or not) to something better.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Lots of things including cutting openings in drywall.
    NOW you tell me...

In my mind a sledge hammer is crude, a sawzall is crude until one is experienced using it,even then I do not know anyone who would cut miters in trim with one. An oscillating tool is something that easily cuts thin kerf cuts with precision in awkward hard to get to places. I would say that home renovation/general carpenter work is what this tool is all about.I am also sure there will be woodworking applications in my shop as time goes on.

Having just striped a 100 year old bow window with 42 panes of glass I find the Fein profile sanding attachment invaluable for sanding the contoured internal muntins. This is not the regular triangular sanding attachments, which is also great, but this. 835F45DB-31BC-4615-964F-29C1BF901D6B-5501-000003B02BCB67EA.jpg
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did it take four pages for that to be the answer? If you remodel anything, ever, you will use it for every single trade. I also can't believe how many people are calling it a crude tool. I frequently cut moldings and trim that are already installed when installing cabinetry or vanities, or for instance today's Murphy bed install, perfectly to a cabinetry level finish. At least twice a week I look at it and say out loud how did contractors live without this followed up by if they took this away I would find a new profession. The only negative with this tool, and I mean the only negative, is how they are still charging a large fortune for blades that don't last more then a few small cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also can't believe how many people are calling it a crude tool.
    The only negative with this tool, and I mean the only negative, is how they are still charging a large fortune for blades that don't last more then a few small cuts.
    Keith
    Yeah, that point of view caught me by surprise also.
    I do not use one often, but when I do, it is definitely not to do something crude with it. In fact, quite the opposite.
    The blades are $$$$, but I rationalize their cost by the amount of time and rework I would have had to do, had I not had the tool as an option.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

It's not a crude tool, but it's not a precision tool either. Depends on the users skill I suppose.

As it goes in re-modeling, things don't always proceed in a straight line, so the order of operations gets out of wack. I replaced the exterior door a couple years ago. Recently pulled the beat wall to wall and refinished the fir floor. Had to make new baseboard and finally needed a new interior threshold for the door. Door casing was to long. 5 minutes with the Fein and I had two good cuts and was able to drive the new threshold in. Easy peasie, with that tool.

Indispensible for making a straight cut in a hard-to-reach area or any place where a precise cut is needed but there's no clearance for a saw with a fence (jigsaw/circular saw/sawzall). I also know of no other power tool that lets you put your straightedge/speed square right on the line, alowing you to zip the blade right along it. With practice you can draw the blade along a line, freehand, forever.

I own a cordless and a corded version. They both sit idle for months at a time. As I build, cabinetry and mill work in a shop for installation elsewhere, using either one usually is a sign that I made some error in planning and/or preparation. I wouldn't call them crude, as I can achieve very precise results, if needed, but I find them to be unpleasant to use. This being not only because of the noise and vibration, but also because, the stress of taking a handheld tool to finished, delivered, and installed produce where there is no room for error.

I started out with the Harbor Freight tool with a cord and then purchased the DeWalt battery version, which I find great for all sorts of home repair. I find the oscillating tool great for drywall and installed trim work. I found that the oscillating saw was particularly effective at coping trim, which is much faster than the manual coping saw that I used before.

I have not used it for any furniture building.

Years ago I was rebuilding a set of stairs. We wanted to use the existing stringers so we pried off the old treads, only to discover they were installed with lots of construction adhesive. After the treads were up, there was a mess of wood and glue bits left on the stringers. I tried removing the hardened glue with a heat gun and putty knife but it was taking forever. After an hour and getting nowhere fast I remembered my multi-tool came with a scraper blade. Bingo! The mulit-tool cut through it like butter.
    Well worth the $$. I will never be without one again.