Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use a Oscillating Multi-Tool for?

In addition to the above applications, you can use it to cut dovetails. Here is a guy demonstrating how he made a dovetailed bench using an oscillating tool to help cut away waste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_tvpVozSrc

I have the Fein and it has been excellent. I call it the "tool I can't afford to use" due to the cost of the blades, BUT, when I need it, it is a wonder to use. Plunge cuts, spaces nothing else will reach, adjustable blade position, wood, metal or plastic, etc. If you aren't sure if you want one, but the Harbor Freight unit. My GC had one when we did the re-model of the place a few years ago and it did everything my Fein did at a fraction of the price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Needed to remove double gang box and enlage to triple gang without damaging sheetrock or wiring. A few carefully chosen surgical cuts allowed the box to be removed in pieces. This then allowed a prybar to carefully pry the mounting nails and wings from the stud.
    Attachment 412132

Opened wall with precise cut to replace with a triple gang box. No patching or sheetrock was needed.
    Attachment 412133

Needed to make a precise opening in wall to add an in-wall deep cabinet. No patching or painting required here either.
    Attachment 412134

Dick, firstly, I want to be clear that I'm not dumping on you or criticizing; you just happened to post photos of what I'm talking about.

I've had a Fein since the days when they were the only game in town. It's a very good quality tool, but one that seldom gets used. But as many others have said, when you gotta have it, you gotta have it. There are a few situations where nothing else will get the job done. That being said, it's not a good general purpose tool. The cutting action is very inefficient and it's slow and blades are expensive.

But it seems like this tool is largely a solution in search of a problem. The above photos that Dick posted illustrate uses for the tool, but in all 3 of those cases, I'd have used a good drywall saw & had the hole cut just as accurately in less time that it takes to get the multi tool out & ready to use. I see them being used for all kinds of things on youtube that would just be better done with hand tools.

My feeling on this tool is that it has invaluable uses in everyday home construction or remodeling but, beyond that, it doesn't have any great use in woodworking like furniture or cabinet making. So, if you are a remodeler or home construction guy or are renovating your own home, they most likely have many uses. Otherwise not. I know I could have used one 40+ years ago when I renovated my own home but not now in my woodworking endeavors.

5. forgot one thing: removing grout

Blog Entries
    Ha! I cut door moldings with mine last weekend.
    I’ve mine fairly often to get into oddball places.

Cut off shims.
    Cut base or crown when you are installing new cabinets.
    Cutting nails behind moldings.
    Cutting nails left behind when pulling moldings.
    Making holes in wood or sheetrock for electrical boxes.
    When things are glued down like carpet, laminate or flooring use the scraping blade.
    Cutting casings for flooring to go under if you don't have an undercut saw.

I had a window to make a frame style casing for. It was a typical sill and casing type window. I needed to cut the sill flush with the rest of the casing jamb. There was a faucet in the way as it was the sink window. I told the home owner it was going to be a fairly crude cut and it would need touching up. I used the half round blade and it was the right blade to use. The cut came out very well and needed very little touch up. No way it could have been done any other way without removing the sill and causing more problems with the window.

Indespensible for around the house.

The only "woodworking" task I use it for is when making picture frames.
    For supporting the corners, I don't like banging in standard V-nails, so:

I use the oscillating tool, against a support, to cut 2 parallel slots across the back of each corner. (I also have a home-made depth stop, similar to what Festool offers with their tool)

Then I glue in 2 thin maple strips, across each corner.

It's fast, and looks really nice.

FWIW, I use the Bosch. It's nicely balanced and very powerful, and their blades are fantastic. - But if I had the money, I'd get the Festool.

Exclamation Non-conventional uses

IMO it can be an interesting tool for home repair and remodeling as already mentioned. Useful on floor, wall and ceiling including at kitchen and bathroom for some punctual tasks where would be very difficult to use any other power tool, but virtually all the tasks it really can do better than other power tools, you can do with manual tools with similar time but some higher physical effort and skills. It is a slow tool for almost any task it can fit.

I use my own Makita multitool for a couple of "unconventional" tasks also: I have no ultrasonic cleaner, so I attach it to a stainless bow and voila, I have mine. It works very well as a regular ultrasonic cleaner. Great to dismantling a home made router table with parts attached with (cured) glue and brad nails with minimum damage. I also use it as my triangular power sander to reach some difficult spots.

I purchased my multitool really expecting very low application and understanding probably it never will be worth - I purchased as consequence from that strange "virus" pushing some of us to purchase tools (to my favor, I bravely resisted it for several years). Perhaps for my low expectations on the purchase I was surprised for the uses I already had put it!
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I bought the HF version with a 20% coupon and used it to remove a small section of badly warped deck board. Made a nice clean cut on top of the joist so I didn't have to pull the entire board.

Cut a nice clean hole in hardwood flooring and subfloor underneath to install an in-floor electrical receptacle.

Lots of other uses mentioned above. I got mine for $20 from a used tool dealer in town, he got it as part of a box lot. It's a Ryobi, that takes the Ridgid heads, and I have Ryobi 18V tools so it was worth it.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

After reading this, almost indispensable, right? I use mine frequently in building boats.

I’m often reminded of the oscillating saws to remove plater casts, the ones you can push (gently) against skin and not get cut. I’ve often wondered if the same is true for multisaws (doubtful), but never had the urge to test it .

I'm sure it's just the blade.

I have used my Harbor Freight model to remove caulking from the top of my camper. First I soften the caulk with a heat gun, then I use the vibrating “putty knife” blade to remove the caulk. The tool does a much better job than a regular putty knife and much faster.