Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use a Oscillating Multi-Tool for?

I use one to remove moldings I need to preserve where prying them up will result in splitting. Just slide the thin metal cutting blade behind the molding and saw the nail off flush. Doing it that way, you do not have to remove the nails. Just leave them in place when you replace the molding using new nail positions.

Lots of good feedback here, thanks.

I hadn't thought about the drywall cutting, but then again I've also got a dremel with a drywall bit which seems to work well for this. Has anybody used both a dremel (or drywall cutting tool like this ) and an oscillating multi-tool? Just curious which you prefer and why?

Doing trim work in ways that don't related to installing flooring seems a very good niche for it, I'll have to think about it.

For a lot of other small cuts I find myself reaching for my jigsaw, or bandsaw, depending on how portable the piece is.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post

I hadn't thought about the drywall cutting, but then again I've also got a dremel with a drywall bit which seems to work well for this. Has anybody used both a dremel ... and an oscillating multi-tool? Just curious which you prefer and ...
    Again, it depends on the cut and the clearance. If I need to cut right against something else, such as a floor or an obstruction, the dremel simply won't fit while a multitool with the right bit will. I've used mine in many cases where nothing else would easily fit. Sure, I could have don't it some other way but the multi tool was quicker and easier. I've used mine for everything from installing my dust collector to trimming for deck boards and house siding.

You don't have to spend $3-400 on a Fein set - these days there are much cheaper options and while the Fein is arguably a higher quality, the others will all work. Maybe just get one and try it to see what it will do, then keep it around until the right job comes up.

JKJ

All of the above, and also for sanding lathe turnings while they are on the lathe.

I’ve cut drywall openings with both this and the Rotozip. Both are good, and have uses, but the multi tool makes less dust for me.

The multitool is great for sanding old window sills for refinishing.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Maybe just get one and try it to see what it will do, then keep it around until the right job comes up.
    You seem to have more money than I do, I usually wait for the job, and THEN buy the tool. Doesn't hurt that I've got a Home Depot and Lowes 5 minutes from the house. I've been somewhat on the fence, but nothing I've been doing recently has required one. When it does I'll get it.

I've used it for most of the jobs described above. recently I replaced/upgraded the striker plates on all my exterior doors to 10" security plates. Nothing I've tried works as quickly or neatly as my Fein.

I own one (Rigid) that I bought for a specific project where I was replacing some exterior door trim and it was the right tool for the job. Maybe I'll use it again sometime...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got by without one until last week when I was asked to run some baseboard with 3/8" stopped grooves for air movement. Tough to clean up the mill marks with anything else. That and clean flush cuts in awkward spots where a sawzall would be far too crude and a chisel too laborious.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post

I hadn't thought about the drywall cutting, but then again I've also got a dremel with a drywall bit which seems to work well for this. Has anybody used both a dremel (or drywall cutting tool like this ) and an oscillating multi-tool? Just curious which you prefer and why?
    Last summer parts of Iowa got 10” of rain in 6 hours. Our basement flooded. We had to remove the bottom 12” of drywall as quickly as we could. I started with my rotary tool with a drywall bit. My son used his oscillating tool with a blade similar to this.
    A0F1C3E7-93C9-42E7-9D00-5087BDCF8037.jpg
    I have used my rotary tool to cut drywall through several remodels. My son had not done any drywall work in his life prior to this.

His cuts were done faster and straighter and with less dust than my cuts. Made patching a lot easier. Was easier and safer to cut out electrical boxes, too. I will not go back to a rotary for drywall unless there is a compelling application.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

10. I bought one when installing a bathroom vanity. It was great to cut out a section of baseboard moulding. I haven't used it since, at least not yet.

Over the past two years we have been remodeling a house we purchased in Florida. I have used the oscillating multi-tool many times. Probably most for cutting the moulding for tile and laminate flooring. Place a piece of new tile or laminate flooring on the floor under the blade and cut the door trim off to the height you need. . It works great. Also, for cutting outlet holes in drywall like other have said. Used it for scraping off old grout from ceramic tile which we removed. It worked great for that, slow but worked. Used it when I installed vinyl siding on my garage. The only drawback is the price of blades. I have been purchasing them from Harbor Freight. Maybe not a good as some of the name brands but, when they are on sale they are fairly reasonable. I purchased the Ridgid Tool because of the warranty. Great tool, wouldn't be without it. P.S. Harbor Freight also sells a washer which converts off brand blades so they will fit on other brand multi-tools.
    Great tool !!!!

+1
    Also, I found the grout blade useful to make precise cuts in old plaster in my 1920's house

Blog Entries
    My use is few and far between so I got the Harbor Freight. Used it just yesterday to cut a piece of installed trim to allow another (afterthought) piece to go under. Made a fussy job a no-brainer. Well worth $15 (with coupon).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought a Fein to do some repairs on my retail building. Using it for some of the already mentioned tasks. I never thought it would be useful in the the shop but discovered it works well for sanding panel raises.

15. I have a Makita and I rarely use it, but when i do I am sure glad I have it. It's not really a woodworking tool but more of a general carpentry tool. It was a life saver when I had to cut grooves into an existing wood floor to put in new thresholds. It is also handy for sanding tight places and stripping paint. I've even used it to cut copper pipe in spots too tight for my cutters. It is great for cutting damaged fasteners flush with a surface.

However, I can't use it for long until my hands start to really hurt. The vibration is brutal. Or I am a wimp. Probably that.