Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '03 Minimax SC2 vs. New Grizzly Slider

Stewart I spent about $120 bucks on bearings, some hard felt for the bearing carriage (it cleans the ways the bearings roll in) and a new drive belt . It probably took me about 15 hours to get everything dialed in . I also welded up a butt bar for this saw. The nice thing about these saws is they are set up for 10'' blades so if you have a collection already you are in business.

Yeah that is one down side to the fielders. The pin holes mean your off the shelf box store blades don’t fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Stewart I spent about $120 bucks on bearings, some hard felt for the bearing carriage (it cleans the ways the bearings roll in) and a new drive belt . It probably took me about 15 hours to get everything dialed in . I also welded up a butt bar for this saw. The nice thing about these saws is they are set up for 10'' blades so if you have a collection already you are in business.

Adam, thanks for the offer but a 102" stroke is gonna be too long for my shop. Also, I'm in Central FL, a little far from Ohio. Thanks though!

The one thing that gets me about buying from a company like SCM (along with Powermatic and others) is that they use a dealer network. SCM marks up the price from the manufactorer, and then the dealer marks it up to retail price. I'm not sure what their point rate is, but I know certain speciality industries have a 40-50% mark up from dealer price to retail price. You're basically paying a lot more for twice as many people to make a profit. One reason why actual cost isn't a factor of quality to me.

So even though a SC2 starts at $6k, while a Grizzly is $3k, I know the SC2 is not twice the build quality, because a lot of that extra cost just goes to the dealer. How much better of a build quality is it? 10%? 20%? I don't know, but at least with Grizzly I know there isn't a double mark-up.

Interestingly, I've had both Grizzly's 16-1/2" Dovetail Machine and Powermatic's 16-1/2" Dovetail Machine in my shop, and they are COMPLETELY identical. Only difference? One is almost $4k, one is almost $7k. Just for the markup.
    Last edited by Stewart Lang; 07-03-2019 at 6:25 PM.

All my SCM/Minimax gear was bought directly from the company. Sam Blasco is the current US rep.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm questioning your 10% diffidence in quality reference. I may be biased though ..............

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    The one thing that gets me about buying from a company like SCM (along with Powermatic and others) is that they use a dealer network. SCM marks up the price from the manufactorer, and then the dealer marks it up to retail price.
    I might be missing something in your statement, but SCM is the manufacturer, unlike other brands that are re-badged machines made elsewhere. I visited one of the SCM factories near Vicenza, Italy on one of my business trips, but I wasn't allowed to tour the factory floor. However, from what I could see, manufacturing material was being delivered and finished product was being shipped.

When I shopped around for a small slider saw, the price of the SC2 Classic was the same if I bought it from a distributor or from SCM directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I might be missing something in your statement, but SCM is the manufacturer, unlike other brands that are re-badged machines made elsewhere. I visited one of the SCM factories near Vicenza, Italy on one of my business trips, but I wasn't allowed to tour the factory floor. However, from what I could see, manufacturing material was being delivered and finished product was being shipped.

When I shopped around for a small slider saw, the price of the SC2 Classic was the same if I bought it from a distributor or from SCM directly.
    Agreed, when you buy an SCM or Felder/Hammer you’re buying directly from the manufacturer, unlike Grizzly, Powermatic etc.

Regards, Rod