Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for recommendation - trim router for routing small mortises

looking for recommendation - trim router for routing small mortises

I need to route mortises for some small brass knife hinges. For routing these small mortises, what trim router would you buy today, and why? For me it seems like good depth adjustment, and having control and visibility for small details would be most important.

Here's a couple that I have looked at: Bosch GKF125CEN, and the Dewalt DWP611.

Thanks,

Dennis

I use and like the DeWalt. I use it for a lot of my routing now days - it's lighter and easier to handle than my larger 1/2" router. If the work calls for a big bit, I of course use my big router.

I use the Dewalt for setting hinges on boxes. I use a spiral bit (not too big - you want to be able to get close to the corners) and route close to the line, then finish with a chisel.

When setting up, route on some scrap first and make sure you're not too deep (or too shallow). Once you're satisfied, route your fine wood. You can get the DeWalt with a combination of a fixed base and a plunge base. I use a fixed base for routing hinge mortises but the plunge base comes in handy for other routing jobs.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-30-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+1 on the DeWalt 611. Have and love it. I bought the kit with fixed plunge bases.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

same here, DeWalt 611, fixed and plunge. Ive been using it more and more because its convenient and just easier to use for small things.

My favorite it's actually my Rigid. I like the rack and pinion adjustment and the feel in my hand.

+1 on the DeWalt 611, fixed and plunge base and edge guide.

I vote for the Dewalt also.
    But with that said for the application you described the ridged would be my go to router. Its smaller has a decent depth adjustment and with a clear sub-base and built in light makes quick work of that task.

CW

The DeWalt looks very nice, but I have no first hand experience. I have the excellent Makita trim router with plunge and fixed bases. This is now available as a cordless machine.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The DeWalt looks very nice, but I have no first hand experience. I have the excellent Makita trim router with plunge and fixed bases. This is now available as a cordless machine.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I have the cordless version of this Makita set. For a trim router (where excessive power is not needed), I very much like the cordless feature and can recommend this Makita

I don't have the Rigid or the DeWalt, but I do have a Bosch Colt kit.
    If there had been anything else out there I had known about, I would not have bought it.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    I don't have the Rigid or the DeWalt, but I do have a Bosch Colt kit.
    If there had been anything else out there I had known about, I would not have bought it.
    I agree. After I bought a DeWalt I sold my Bosch colt. Then I bought three more Dewalts.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I also have a DeWalt 611 with both bases, and use it frequently for lighter my routing chores, but I almost always use it with my M Power CRB7 because it has better edge guiding capabilities than the DeWalt edge guide. It can also be used for many other routing chores like circle cutting from about 1" diameter up to over 8' diameter, edge trimming, flush trimming, mortising, etc. The CRB7 can be used with many of my other other routers too, but I mostly seem to use it with my DeWalt 611.

Charley

The Dewalt 611 has such a smooth plunge action compared to everything else. It is my first choice when using a small router bit. I wish that any of my bigger PC routers were nearly this smooth.

I love my little DeWalt and I'm looking for an excuse to buy another.

Same here, have both, Bosch lays in the drawer. The Bosch has been back for repair twice. Should have just trashed it.
    Dewalt with both bases is really nice.