Thread: Compressor Install And Thanks...

Compressor Install And Thanks...

Well, it's finally done. I got to replace my 25+ year old Devilbiss horizontal compressor. The new compressor is in and working, fittings and all, pretty much. Not the greatest compressor and not nearly the most involved install, but it's all new to me and I really appreciate all the help you've given me. When it comes to compressors, fittings and all, there's a lot I don't know, but I knew you folks here would have the knowledge.
    It's an 11CFM, budget Kobalt compressor, with 60gal tank. Could have gone bigger, could have gone better, but truth is, the budget wouldn't allow it. Another constraint was, I like to buy new, I can't help it. I know, I know...if I went used...but I didn't want to. Hopefully this compressor will do everything I have left to do in the years I have left and will run trouble free.
    I went 3/4 to the ball valve, then 3/8 to the output couplers. From there on, all of my hoses are 3/8, with 1/4 fittings and all of my couplers and plugs are hi flow, so I should get some pretty good air to whatever I'm using. I even replaced the OEM barb fittings, with hi flow, to make sure there are no restrictions along the way.
    It's mounted to a mobile base, with cast iron wheels. I need to be able to move the beast from time to time, so mobility was a must. That said, the legs are bolted to plywood that is bolted to the base frame. The frame has a much wider stance than the OEM legs, so it's actually more stable as it sits. It's also all strapped to the wall, just in case.
    So, thank you for sharing your knowledge and thanks for your patience. .

That’s a nice looking compressor!

I like the manifold setup on the side - is that an accessory?

Thanks Matt! I actually had to bend some 16ga. sheet to make the mounting plate. The filter/regulator and fittings were purchased separately, off of Amazon.

Glad to hear you strap it to the wall since you live in a quake zone. A single chain is good enough to prevent tip over and walking but not rocking.
    Bill D.

Bill, I have it stopped high and low, with cargo straps, hooked to eye bolts in the wall. I figure if that's not enough, then I've got more to worry about than my compressor. Seriously though, I think that will keep it upright...I hope.

Nice looking compressor!
    Your filter may not be terribly effective at removing moisture as it is so close to the compressed, HOT air outlet. Ideally you would filter your air several feet away from the compressor so as to allow the air to cool and the moisture to condense.
    If clean air is important to you, you may want to do some mind-bending research on the subject. Also, the clean air journey gets expensive pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Bill, I have it stopped high and low, with cargo straps, hooked to eye bolts in the wall. I figure if that's not enough, then I've got more to worry about than my compressor. Seriously though, I think that will keep it upright...I hope.
    Mine rocked on startup so I stopped by the side of the road and picked up some tire treads. Put a hunk under each foot and that stopped the rocking. At least any rocking is no longer visable. i found stuff about 1/2 inch thick with no steel belts to stab myself with.

I am considering buying that same model to replace the unbelievably loud diaphragm style compressor I have now. My question is simply how loud is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am considering buying that same model to replace the unbelievably loud diaphragm style compressor I have now. My question is simply how loud is it?
    Well, I have a typical 2 car garage, with non insulated roll up steel panel door. The unit is up against the wall that adjoins the house. When running, from the inside of the house, just on the other side of the wall, you can hear it running, but you could be watching tv there and not be bothered by it. I think any oilless compressor would be louder. I have a smaller, oil compressor that is actually louder than this one. I honestly expected it to be much louder, being larger and 2 stage, however it is not. I did see something on YT that showed a db meter reading that may help you out. Just search that compressor. Hope this helped.

Yes, it helped. Thanks!