Thread: Grizzly G0733 VFD-M Parameter Access

Grizzly G0733 VFD-M Parameter Access

I just purchased a new Grizzly G0733 Wood Lathe with a Delta VFD-M AC Drive. I would like to record the parameter values for the 150 parameters in the drive. I can see the drive failing some day and if that happens after the warranty expires I would prefer to purchase a new drive and have the parameters available to enter. When I try to access the parameters on my drive now, the up / down arrows are disabled and will not allow me to view any of the parameters except the first one. Does anyone know how Grizzly (Delta) (Third Party) disabled viewing of the drive parameters?

2. David Roseman is your man for this info....maybe a PM to him. He has some info on the Grizzly Green Monster Group [GGMG]. Top of page, community tab, then click on groups, then you will see the GGMG.....you can search the threads. He has programmed his G0733, and G0766, and added a braking resistor to his 0733 as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Gary, I just saw your post and Roger's reply. Congratulations on your new lathe. As you've noted, it uses the Delta VFD-M series AC motor drive, which has 157 user-adjustable parameters. If you'll send me a private message with your email address, I'll be happy to email you a PDF tutorial I did three years ago on the respective VFDs of the G0733 and G0766 lathes. However, to send PMs on SCM (as well as view and post photos), you'd need to become a subscriber. See this Admin announcement: https://sawmillcreek.org/announcement.php?f=61&a=26

Parameter changes on the VFD-M series inverters are relatively easy by following the drive's manual. But it must be done very carefully, and only after fully understanding what's involved. Briefly, there are two ways: (1) By using the digital keypad on the back of the drive under the metal dust cover, or (2) By connecting a laptop to the resident RS-485 communication port on the drive (an RJ11 jack), and then using the free Delta VFDSoft software available at Delta Electronics.

However, Grizzly locks out the ability to use the digital keypad to make parameter changes from the settings on the lathes as-shipped by Grizzly to the purchasers. I think this is to prevent inadvertent or uninformed parameter changes that might adversely affect performance. If so, Grizzly is not alone in this concern. Jet and Powermatic, who use Delta VFD-S series drives, and no doubt other equipment vendors, are doing this as well. As a result, if you eventually want to make parameter adjustments, you'll need to go in through the communications port using a laptop, a special interface, and the Delta software. That is covered in the PDF.
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 07-01-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks David for your information. I am a retired electronics technician that worked with AC and DC drives for many years, so I am aware of problems caused by improper parameter values. It looks like I will need an RS-485 converter, which is no problem, but the software only running on Windows XP or 7 might be a problem. I do have an old laptop running XP that might still power up but hate to invest in much that would require it to operate as it should.

Gary, got your PMs. Emails sent.

Happy to help. I think you'll really enjoy that lathe.