Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Help With Sealing Compressor Fittings....

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Andrew, thanks. Not having much of any experience with compressed air fittings, I have to say I'm learning a lot, not the least of which is that fact that I've been over tightening all of my joints.
    FWIW, back when I used only teflon tape (not the Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket), I sometimes found that the joint still leaked, even after I had tightened the fitting as tight as I dared to tighten it.

When this happened, sometimes (not always, maybe not even most of the time, but sometimes) I found that if I backed-out the joint maybe 1/8 turn, sometimes that would seal it. My theory was that maybe the teflon tape, after shredding, was "jamming" between the threads when I backed out the fitting a hair.

Anyway, FWIW and YMMV and it might be worth a try if/when all else fails.

Blog Entries
    Following. Just picked up the Kobalt 3.4 hp 60 gallon compressor today. 175 psi. Per the reviews, the tank drain was loose. Some guy had one job...
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-06-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Following. Just picked up the Kobalt 3.4 hp 60 gallon compressor today. 175 psi. Per the reviews, the tank drain was loose. Some guy had one job...
    Ole, sorry to hear that. I hope you got a good price on it...it is on sale right now. I bought mine the week before it went on sale, so they gave me the sale price. Anyways, please let us know if you had any other leaks in the system. I checked all the joints I could get to and found the gauge and safety valve leak, which I can simply reseal. Hopefully, all the other joints are good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Ole, sorry to hear that. I hope you got a good price on it...it is on sale right now. I bought mine the week before it went on sale, so they gave me the sale price. Anyways, please let us know if you had any other leaks in the system. I checked all the joints I could get to and found the gauge and safety valve leak, which I can simply reseal. Hopefully, all the other joints are good.
    Don't see any sale pricing here, paid $549. The tank drain wasn't a big deal as I replaced the drain with a 1/4" street ell, 6" of 1/4" pipe and a ball valve. NO other obvious leaks, although I didn't bubble test everything. My big leaks were the filter in my garage which I simply removed and the drain in the brand new 1/2" regulator I purchased which I fixed by adding a second O-ring to the drain. My whole system lost about 2 psi overnight, acceptable. I used Jamar's Green Stuff pipe dope rated to 4000 psi with air.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 07-09-2019 at 7:39 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

A couple of days ago, I resealed the two leaks I had with Permatex High Performance Thread Sealant, filled the tank with air and let it sit overnight with the tank ball valve closed. It seems to have held pressure overnight, so I think I may be good...maybe. Couldn't find any other leaks, but who knows. As long as it holds pressure to the first ball valve, I think I'm good. At least I can close the valve after use and have the tank hold pressure.

I took this picture today to show the large gauges that I bought off of ebay. Search large compressor gauge, and several choices should show up. This compressor is the one I sealed with tape, and probably just no.5 in 1991. It's been turned off for at least a couple of weeks, and has lost from 175 down to this. I bought this compressor new in 1974. It's under an open trailer shed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It's been turned off for at least a couple of weeks, and has lost from 175 down to this. I bought this compressor new in 1974. It's under an open trailer shed.
    Wow, that's impressive!

It might have been with some sealant other than no.5. I really don't remember, but do remember the house I was building when I decided to stop it from leaking, and remember that I built that house in 1991. I took every fitting apart, and redid every threaded coupling.

As the OP, I thought I'd report back. It's been a few days now and the resealed dial joints seem to be holding pressure solidly. The Permatex High Performance Sealant, along with my not over tightening, seems to have done the trick. I know I can't expect the tank to hold solid pressure forever, but if it lasts a week, I suppose I should be satisfied with that. Thanks all, for the help.