Thread: Veritas Grinder Tool Rest Installation

Veritas Grinder Tool Rest Installation

I'm upgrading my grinder setup and just got the Veritas Grinder Tool Rest. I went to install it, but in order to place it the 2" from the base of the grinder like the instructions say, I'd have to remove the outside guarding. I'd rather not do this. I think the angles will still workout and it looks like everything clears, but this is my first go at incorporating a grinder into my sharpening setup. Should I go ahead and install more at 2-1/2"? Anyone think this will screw up the operation or cause unforseen-to-me issues?
    IMG_20190629_135208.jpg

I've used that on several grinders, and never measured the placement. I even had to widen the slot for the CBN wheel. Put it where it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've used that on several grinders, and never measured the placement. I even had to widen the slot for the CBN wheel. Put it where it will work.
    Thanks Tom. I figured I was overthinking things, but it's a big shakeup for my sharpening routine and a grinder is a new thing for me. Appreciate it!

I really like those rests. They're a lot stronger, and stiffer than they look in a picture.

Practice on something that doesn't matter if you get the corners too hot on first. Go slow, dip in water. If you have some old beater chisels that don't matter, go slow, but learn what it takes to blue a corner. I would guess almost all of us have overheated something before we developed the right feel. I know I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I really like those rests. They're a lot stronger, and stiffer than they look in a picture.

Practice on something that doesn't matter if you get the corners too hot on first. Go slow, dip in water. If you have some old beater chisels that don't matter, go slow, but learn what it takes to blue a corner. I would guess almost all of us have overheated something before we developed the right feel. I know I have.
    That's a good idea. I was experimenting with a Harbor Freight chisel and could tell that it will take some practice