Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
Randy,

I've never experimented with a belt sander and don't own one. I can't think of any practical use for one frankly. Just stating that articles on belt sanders are not why most folks subscribe to FWW. I think FWW is adrift. Coming next month: Router Shoot Out and Review! YMMV.
As a rough flattening tool followed by sound sanding, planing, and finishing; it does work. It takes a little bit of practice but, for those beginners who don’t have access to the tools we all have come to rely on, it can function as that first flattening step. Not everything FWW publishes is of interest to all its subscribers. Seems like they are trying to provide some inexpensive ways for people getting into woodworking to still work with wood. Is that “adrift”? Could be...Or could be an entry point for someone who has an interest in wood and wants to try to make something. Woodworking means something different to each of us. At this point in my life I doubt I’d be satisfied with the result from a belt sander but then I own thousands of dollars of equipment to be sure I can finish something just the way I want. That wasn’t always true and I’d have been glad to read an article from a reputable source that suggested how I could use what I had to work with.