Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exasperated with Fine Woodworking Magazine!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    other "giveaways" ?

Fred
    Sure, absolutely no clue as to what a Job Stream is; the last few jobs I had, no one knew what was running at what time in the data centers so resource management was nonexistent.

The general misconception that a faster clock speed makes your network better. Delivering your payload ten-times faster to your sluggish application will not help you.

And my ultimate favorite . . . “it’s the network”.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-30-2019 at 10:23 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

What is being experience in IT, is not exclusive to IT. I swear our job market applicants are Forrest Gump like in their experience-have been around enough to talk a good story, but grossly under perform. When you check their employer for a reference, you get a glowing recommendation, most likely because they want rid of the goomer.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Do what I did, stop sending them money. It just encourages them.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    Both Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking have fallen, fallen, fallen, sigh . . . . ......

Oh well, I have old copies I can read.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Both Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking have fallen, fallen, fallen, sigh . . . . ......

Oh well, I have old copies I can read.
    If you're like some of us old dogs, you probably won't remember what you read in the oldest issues, so you can keep cycling through the collection and always be reading new content.
    Think of it as a forever subscription, kind of like Willy Wonka's everlasting gobstopper.

Blog Entries
    I agree! Lots to do down here and it seldom freezes .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    About 10 days ago I received an email to say that my on-line subscription with FWW magazine could not be renewed as the credit card details were incorrect. I checked, and they were up to date.

[edited]

Now I decide that, what the Hell, I shall subscribe at the new rate. It is only money and you cannot take it with you. I enter my details and country (Australia), and then am asked for my state. This is where it all comes to a grinding halt as only USA states are displayed. I try this every which way ... but only USA states are displayed. (I have completed similar forms on other websites - I am not a doofus).

I contact Customer Support again, explaining the situation, and begging that they take my money. Two days later I get another form email, explaining that I need to log and and renew my account. OK, perhaps something has changed in the past two days. So I log on again. Same as before - I can be resident of Wyoming but never Western Australia. OK, I have a new idea ... I'll go in and sign up as a brand new subscriber! Yeah right ... same again. Apparently no one resides outside the USA in states with names that are dissimilar to those in the USA.

I have emailed Customer Service one last time. What do you think that they will reply?

I wonder if the penny will drop when all international subscribers suddenly stop being subscribers ...?!

Regards from Perth

Derek (hoping that FWW magazine are reading this)

Good help is hard to find.

Maybe you could just pick your favorite state from the menu. If the folks are not aware enough about other places in the world, maybe they won't notice you just moved Wyoming half way around the world.

Since it is a digital subscription it shouldn't affect delivery.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-01-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I see what you mean. Both publications now suck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    If you're like some of us old dogs, you probably won't remember what you read in the oldest issues, so you can keep cycling through the collection and always be reading new content.
    Think of it as a forever subscription, kind of like Willy Wonka's everlasting gobstopper.
    As an owner of many of the old issues, my grandson is reading an article in an old edition from September/October 1981 about building stairs. We are building a couple of porches for the house and have to build some stairs. This article alone covers almost 10 pages

This edition also has an article about making a float from a worn out file.

An article on carving and another on carving tips and tricks.

There is also an article on making panel raising planes.

There is a review of a cabinet makers tool chest and a bunch more.

Even though these old editions are all black & white they seem to have so much more inside than the current editions.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Some good news.

First I received an email from FWW to say that they had modified the on-line form to include Australia.

Then I received more welcome info. This one shows that it pays to have friends in high places. Rob Lee emailed me to say he had a word with FWW about the situation (since my complaint was not just about my situation, but that it must be affecting many others, and ultimately FWW). Soon after this, FWW contacted me to say that I had been reinstated as a Legacy Customer (paying $19.95 for on-line membership, which is about access to videos, archives, and PDFs of past editions).

Hopefully, this will help others in the same situation as well.

Thanks Rob.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's great news Derek. However, it's a shame that it took that level of effort from you and from Rob Lee to get an adequate response from FWW. From what you've posted it was never clear to me if your "contact" with FWW was via phone or email. Either way it is sad that no one from FWW ever took ownership of your problem and ensured it got resolved.

Mike, Ben Strano, FWW editor, messaged me to say that he had contacted admin as well. He admitted that there were problems with the on-line methods that needed sorting out. I am hoping this helps others as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The first question is whether you are still interested in subscribing to FWW under their new structure. I find the Unlimited subscription useful. However, I live in the US and didn't have any problems upgrading to it.

If you are still interested you might try to get in contact with Ben Strano at Fine Woodworking as he is their web guy; at least for most web things. Try submitting a comment to shoptalk@taunton.com. Ben is the one who monitors this and, at the very least, he will forward your problem to someone who can help.

The FWW Customer Support people aren't always the best. I have had some problems with them also, but usually they can solve your problems.

It's too bad you've had these problems as I think the the Unlimited subscription has been worthwhile. It allows me access to a lot of information on techniques, plans, and just general woodworking information that sometimes comes in very handy when I encounter something I just haven't before.
    Last edited by Randy Heinemann; 07-01-2019 at 2:18 PM.

That's great Derek! Thanks for letting us know.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Derek, I had exactly the same experience with them--didn't register a new credit card and lost my discount. Called customer service and couldn't get anything but that I should re-enlist for 99.00.
    I'm gonna miss them.