Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Exasperated with Fine Woodworking Magazine!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Randy,

I've never experimented with a belt sander and don't own one. I can't think of any practical use for one frankly. Just stating that articles on belt sanders are not why most folks subscribe to FWW. I think FWW is adrift. Coming next month: Router Shoot Out and Review! YMMV.
    As a rough flattening tool followed by sound sanding, planing, and finishing; it does work. It takes a little bit of practice but, for those beginners who don’t have access to the tools we all have come to rely on, it can function as that first flattening step. Not everything FWW publishes is of interest to all its subscribers. Seems like they are trying to provide some inexpensive ways for people getting into woodworking to still work with wood. Is that “adrift”? Could be...Or could be an entry point for someone who has an interest in wood and wants to try to make something. Woodworking means something different to each of us. At this point in my life I doubt I’d be satisfied with the result from a belt sander but then I own thousands of dollars of equipment to be sure I can finish something just the way I want. That wasn’t always true and I’d have been glad to read an article from a reputable source that suggested how I could use what I had to work with.

Blog Entries
    I have had a belt sander for a lot of years. I don't use it often, but when I do, I am sure glad I have it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have had a belt sander for a lot of years. I don't use it often, but when I do, I am sure glad I have it.
    My belt sander is used more on metal than on wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was disappointed with the current issue. It took me all of 5 minutes to "read". The only interesting thing was Follansby showing how to weave the seat of a stool.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I wouldn’t even think of questioning Christian Becksvoort’s techniques.

Randy,

I'm not questioning his techniques. I know Chris personally (early Independence Tool Customer) and I'm sure he is expert with the belt sander.

What I'm questioning, is the appropriateness of a multi page article about a the belt sander in FINE Woodworking Magazine. Articles on marquetry? Check. Finer point of chopping mortises and gluing up a carcass project? Check. Applying veeneer? Check. Using the belt sander? No check.

Hope this clears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I wouldn’t even think of questioning Christian Becksvoort’s techniques.

I was in the local RE-Store last week and saw a few of the early FWW mags. The black and white ones. In leafing through them it is remarkable the difference in publishing. The old pages were full of advertising and in many cases those ads were our source of materials and tools. After watching a lot of Norm on the New Yankee WS I began to get into wood. When Norm was on the cover of FWW a hue and cry went up in the letters about the sacrilege of his style of work in the mag. I have to laugh at that as over the years PC, Delta, Grizzly, SS, Lie Nielsen and on and on have gotten a great deal of my dough and it began with NYWS & FWW, so that worked. Survival in paper publishing is exceedingly difficult today. the ads are gone. Some of my favorite mags are gone and I like paper in magazine or book form. They have to survive and that means getting to the younger folks that don't all ready have all the tools and know-how. I am always happy to get to the mailbox and find FWW. I scratch my head on the content frequently, but always find something of value. I guess I'll continue to subscribe. As to the belt sander, well, I equate that to belt sander/adze. Belt sander/Adze. I'll take the adze. You get the same result and I'm better with an adze.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    As to the belt sander, well, I equate that to belt sander/adze. Belt sander/Adze. I'll take the adze. You get the same result and I'm better with an adze.
    Sorry Jack, but you lost me there. I can't see the connection between the 2 at all. Different tools for different purposes with completely different surface results.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Sorry Jack, but you lost me there. I can't see the connection between the 2 at all. Different tools for different purposes with completely different surface results.
    Frank, Some folks use the front roller on a belt sander to hollow out areas on seats and such.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Ah, thanks Jim. I didn't even consider that.

Well, most people would consider Tage Frid to be a fine woodworker, and he was one of the original editors of Fine Woodworking, and he was quite fond of the belt sander, so I guess you could make an argument that a belt sander article would be appropriate for Fine Woodworking. Remember back in the early days of FWW, Danish modern and curved furniture were all the rage, and belt sanders were commonly used to make the curves and flowing lines. I don't particularly like Danish modern, but I probably would consider it "finer" woodworking than the Mission style stuff that I make, that is ever so well geared to machine work. Which was Stickley's point: let the machines do the drudgery, so the craftsman can do the artistry.

A belt sander can be used to do a good job of sanding doors ,without the cross grain scratches of the coveted "wide belts".
    And wide belts usually require two men doing a lot of heavy lifting and walking. Then orbital sanding.

I hadn't checked in with this thread for some time and wonder why FWW was still struggling with subscriptions. Best response before the thread breakdown, "I must recant this post. I forgot that I had mailed in a subscription to Fine Woodworking." Lol, those stupid millinials at FWW!

Now we're deep in the evils of belt sanding. I'm worried someone is going to mention how they use a BS for sharpening...will heads explode

Mel, you make an excellent point. For larger items of woodworking belt sanders can be very usefull. As Fine Woodworking in not a hand tool only publication it makes sense they have an article on the aplication of belts sanders. It must be appreciated that all entry level artiles will be cyclical, for most you'll only ever need to read one of those. To some extent a lot of experienced woodworkers might move away from maganzines. The only section that held my interest was readers contributions of their own projects. Always inspiring!

I guess I'd agree that, in fact, since Tage Frid and Christian Becksvoort were or are producers of fine pieces of furniture and cabinetry, it is an appropriate topic for a magazine or book on fine woodworking techniques; just not practiced by everyone. After 45 years of magazines, I would agree, though, that FWW tends to cover a lot of the same subjects repeatedly. However, how many subjects can there be?