Thread: Glue Guns?

Glue Guns?

Now for a not so sexy topic. So many glue guns, so many positive and negative reviews.

Dual guns - worth the money?

Which glue sticks work best for woodworking?

basically, what are you guys using?

Thanks

Actually, looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Any comments?

I have 2-3 such guns, different brands. Higher wattage means the glue heats up quicker and you can lay down a near continuous bead, if you get the longer glue sticks. I just a couple such guns at the same time, so I don't have to pause for a long bead of glue, I just grab for another of my $10 glue guns and continue the bead.

While I do use them a lot, their use seems confined to temporary jigs and fabricating cardboard boxes. The Thermoplastic glue is simply not as strong as any PVA glue. I'm not sure whether the Thermoplastic Glue is stronger than CA glue, but I suspect not. The glue's chief advantage for me is that the bonding time is measured in a minute or two, almost as fast as CA glue with an accelerator.

I'm unaware that any specific Thermoplastic glue approaches the performance of any PVA glue, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post

I'm unaware that any specific Thermoplastic glue approaches the performance of any PVA glue, but I could be wrong.
    I've read about (but have no experience with) a product from Titebond - HiPURformer hot polyurethane. It's supposed to produce bonds nearly as strong as PVA.

It's not a conventional glue stick, but a "cartridge." The system uses a cordless gun that heats up in a corded stand for about 15 minutes, and then the gun can be used for about 15 minutes before the glue needs to be reheated. Comes in a choice of open times, ranging from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.

The type with the 30-second open time could be handy for situations where clamping is difficult. I'm not sure why you would use a hot glue with a 30-minute open time.

I got two glue guns for $2 at an auction 10 years ago and have been using the bigger one ever since. I just use it to temporarily attach banjo rims to a faceplate for turning, I wouldn't use hot glue for anything permanent. I would look at yard sales, auctions, and thrift shops if I needed a new one and didn't need it right away.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    ...I wouldn't use hot glue for anything permanent...
    This.

But for other purposes, like making patterns, I use a heavy duty, high wattage gun.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

When I need serious strength and fast set, I pull out this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The picture is a bit deceiving: it's about a foot long, so not your ordinary glue gun. Carpet layers use this to attach tackless strip to concrete floors, so it has some serious stick.
    I bought it for one project a while ago, but like so many tools, once you have it, you find a lot of uses for it. I use it mostly for jigs and fixtures, but have used it for mock-ups and I even use it to attach and seal blast gates to PVC pipe. Faster and easier than tape or screws, and it seals very well. If I have to get one apart, a heat gun will soften it enough.

Tec 805-12

https://www.hotmelt.com/products/tec-805-hot-glue-gun

I like it a lot.

Hot glue guns ain't much good for much, but for some things, they excel – making models out of corrugated cardboard being one. I resisted buying one for the longest time, but once I bought it, I found LOTS of uses for it that nothing else will do. In fact, I continue to find uses for which it is uniquely suited.

I've read about (but have no experience with) a product from Titebond - HiPURformer hot polyurethane. It's supposed to produce bonds nearly as strong as PVA.
    I have one of these. Used it for one project -installing a huge amount of cement board lap siding. We used it to glue the mitered corners. We used the 60 second cartridge which was just right to apply install and press the miter closed for about 20 seconds.

That was 8 years ago and still none of the miters have opened up. I would do it again for that purpose but haven't used it since.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post

It's not a conventional glue stick, but a "cartridge." The system uses a cordless gun that heats up in a corded stand for about 15 minutes, and then the gun can be used for about 15 minutes before the glue needs to be reheated. Comes in a choice of open times, ranging from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.

The type with the 30-second open time could be handy for situations where clamping is difficult. I'm not sure why you would use a hot glue with a 30-minute open time.
    I bought the Hipurformer system when it first came out. Rarely used it because they had a problem with the glue cartridges not opening up to use more than once. They fixed that but the cartridges now cost $15 and don’t contain much glue.
    I switched to a $15 gun I got at Hobby Lobby and used polyurethane glue sticks with it.

But now I use thick CA glue for permanent woodworking jobs, like attaching molding. Much stronger than hot-melt glue and cures in seconds which eliminates clamping.

For your question about "dual guns", are you referring to the ones for duotubes like 3M DP810, and 3M DP 1000. If so, they are fantastic for some applications, but I have never used any of those for woodworking. Also, if so, they come in many price ranges, but I've had no complaints at all from probably the lowest priced ones from Golfworks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    Actually, looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Any comments?
    That glue gun looks really similar to the FastenMaster 220W glue gun, but with different color paint. I use the FM in my shop and am thrilled with it. I feel like finally I have a hot melt gun that will put out as much glue as I want it to for larger glue ups. I think that the FastenMaster is just under $100.00, so a little better price?
    T

I have a couple, but have never found a situation where they are better than using hot hide glue. If I melt the glue initially in the microwave the warm-up time is very similar. It grabs fast, and makes a strong bond that can be either temporary or permanent, and doesn't leave a residue that's unsandable or problematic in finishing.