Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Powermatic 6” Jointer - feedback?

Green Powermatic 6” Jointer - feedback?

What are your thoughts on this? I’m considering offering $150.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1656795499505/

Chances are it's a solid machine that works well. For that kind of price it's hard to go too far wrong. 6" is frustratingly narrow-- that's what I have and I'm unhappy almost every time I use it. A lot of the wood I use is in the 6-8" wide category, and I hate ripping it down to fit the jointer, and jointing by hand is long and tiring. 8" would meet 80% of my needs, but I'm stuck coveting a 16" jointer/planer that would meet 99% of my needs. at 10x the price of a used 8" machine.

If you're good with the 6" width and it seems to work well I don't see how you lose on this. At worst it might want some bearings at some point.

That’s a very nice machine at a great price. Plan another $100 for clean up and knives, and make sure it’s single phase.

Very good jointer for that price. I went to look at it on line but it is sold. Did you buy it or did someone beat you to it.

Would that have raising screws for the knives or is it too old for them. My Parks planer does not and changing knives takes awhile. I bent a screwdriver into a 90 degree hook to make a tool to raise the knives.
    Bil lD.

I've taken all the setting screws out of my jointers, and setting a knife takes maybe 20 seconds.

edited to add: I looked at the linked ad, and it says sold anyway.

Well he sold it before I had a chance.

Found a Jet JJ6, looks clean. Comes with new set of knives and mobile base. He is willing to go down to $375. What do you guys think?

I have never own a jointer so this is a new journey.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5502810173447/

Jack ,my advice depends on what size wood you normally work with. If it is pieces 6 inches and narrower and about 8 feet or less in length either of those machines will work. I would suggest buying the cheapest 6'' jointer that you find in good shape. My reason is if you look at adds for used jointers everyone is selling a 6 inch, usually because they have upgraded to a bigger one. If you buy cheap and decide to sell later it is easier to regain your capital. I had a 6'' jointer for years,mainly because it took me about 5 years to find a 8'' model. I will also say that a 6 inch jointer is way better than having no jointer . Good luck.

Blog Entries
    You are already getting the recurring theme on 6" jointers. Those that find them adequate are in the minority. There are certainly folks who need nothing wider for the things they do and that's great. My 6" lasted about a month and I upgraded. 'Frustratingly narrow' says it all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

“Frustratingly narrow” is also one of the reasons you see so many 6” jointers for sale - they’re sold when the owner realizes he/she should have gotten a bigger one.

Makes sense on the 6” comments.

So, help me work through this. I don’t have 240 in my shop. I could run it pretty easily but don’t have plans to right now.

I have a single garage bay to work with so space is at a premium.

From what I have read and researched (keep in mind I’m about 4 months into this damn expensive and fun hobby!) most 8” are 240v and 72” tables. Most 6” are 120v and 45-48” tables.

I’m comprising, and know that going in, but I think a jointer, even small, is better than no jointer. At least I’ll be able to effectively edge joint most anything. Right now I’m using my router table with jointer shims to edge joint.

So, that’s my logic, please challenge it! I want to learn.

Yes a 8" jointer is longer, but in truth most boards take more room then a 6" jointer anyway. You have to allot twice the length of a board for the jointing space. Unless you plan on boards no longer then two feet a 8' jointer uses no more space.
    Was that older jointer a center mount fence? Do not buy one with a end mount fence which has to be adjusted to vertical every time it is moved.
    Bill D

OWWM.ORG rule #5, in the amount of time it takes you to decide if a good tool is worth the price someone else will beat you to it.

I have had a powermatic model 50 for 10 years (green one). would like to get an 8 inch. havent found one for the right price yet. I would buy what you can afford now. You can always upgrade later.