Thread: There are some good guys left

Blog Entries

There are some good guys left

I had to get a repair to my siding, the estimate was $300. The repair was done and the bill came today for $225. There are some good guys left.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I had to get a repair to my siding, the estimate was $300. The repair was done and the bill came today for $225. There are some good guys left.
    There sure are Dennis- they’re just so darn hard to find!

I am surprised that he did not demand cash as soon as the job ended or even payment up front. Sounds like a good guy. Let your neighbors know about him so he can stay in business for when you need his services next.
    I wish my neighbor remembered who did her roof two years ago. I would like to hire them since they did a good job at a fair price.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    [edited]
    I wish my neighbor remembered who did her roof two years ago. I would like to hire them since they did a good job at a fair price.
    Bill D.
    If they did a real good job, they likely applied for a permit. You may be able to find out from the county who it was.

The other thought on this is for warranty purposes, there was likely some paperwork given to the customer. If not, there may not have been a permit in place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Yes there are some goods ones still around. There are about as many 'good' customers around too. I deal with mostly home owners on a daily basis and frankly would rather not if I could get away with it. I gave a woman good service in about that exact same way. Repaired siding on her house when she was selling her house. Told her it would be about $250 and ended up charging less than $200. She paid immediately and all was well. She called me for more work on a house she had purchased and took time in the evening to come out and see what she needed. She was redoing a small kitchen and worked up a price for her, then called to give it to her. No answer and I left a message. I also sent her a text. No answer. Now two weeks later and still no response. I am fine if they change their mind, but is it too much to ask for the courtesy of a response?

I am getting old and crotchety and simply don't like dealing with people that cannot be upfront and say, 'We changed our mind, but thank you.'

I have been a contractor and lately as I get older, a handyman.
    I learned that a simple phone call to a subcontractor to tell them thanks for your service, bit we've gone in a different direction, opens up future relations with them.
    Wish homeowners learned that lesson, too.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If they did a real good job, they likely applied for a permit. You may be able to find out from the county who it was.

The other thought on this is for warranty purposes, there was likely some paperwork given to the customer. If not, there may not have been a permit in place.

jtk
    Thanks for the advice about looking up the permit. I found out who was the contractor who did the roof across the street, with a listed permit. They come Wednesday for an estimate on our roof.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Thanks for the advice about looking up the permit. I found out who was the contractor who did the roof across the street, with a listed permit. They come Wednesday for an estimate on our roof.
    Glad to be of help. If they filed for a permit, then you know they are at least doing something right.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)