Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The History of Grizzly - Video

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    +1. I have had nothing but good service from them. They usually go above and beyond. Although frustrating having things not right when you are assembling a new machine there are stories from every single brand on here if you look. I think what Grizzly did for the problem was fine.

I am impressed it took almost 24 hours for the first person to try and turn this thread into a complaint session.

You could have easily private messaged him the complaint if you wanted him to hear it, but you obviously wanted future potential customers to see it.
    After watching his video and the company not living up to his standards. I felt it was necessary to post it publicly. Yes it is frustrating to receive substandard equipment.yes every other manufacturer has the same issues. My intention was not to turn this into a complaint session. You did by replying to my post instead of just letting it go. Now everyone will be jumping on.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Thanks Shiraz,

It is always great to see confirmation that the American Dream is still alive for those willing and able to pursue it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    After watching his video and the company not living up to his standards. I felt it was necessary to post it publicly. Yes it is frustrating to receive substandard equipment.yes every other manufacturer has the same issues. My intention was not to turn this into a complaint session. You did by replying to my post instead of just letting it go. Now everyone will be jumping on.
    It is a shame they did not offer a complete refund and tell you to keep the saw as well, is it not?

Things happen. Tapping a couple pre-drilled holes should take less than five minutes. I have run into a similar thing with a replacement part for my Kubota tractor. Required tapping a predrilled hole similar to your situation. No big deal. I already had the tap.

You should, in my opinion, focus on the value of the tool you purchased for a reasonable price, rather than the slight inconvenience of tapping those holes. Do you really think their solution was completely unreasonable? Would you have rather gone to the trouble of returning the defective part for replacement, or shipping the the item back for a refund? Rather than take five minutes to resolve the issue?
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Shiraz,I bought a Go442 cyclone dust collector from Grizzly about 4 years ago. I live in Alberta but am only about one hour from the border so shipped to a facility there and picked it up myself. the box my filters were in got smashed slightly by a forklift. When I assembled it ,I had to take apart the filter and use a rubber mallet to beat out a dent. The filter itself was fine. I put it all together and have used it ever since. Thanks for a great product . I will definitely buy other things from your company if /when I need them.

Shiraz, many thanks for the video and story. I am always intrigued by the lives of others and the decisions they make (well, I am a shrink), but I had family that lived in the same rough area in Africa as you around the time your family moved. They were "neighbours" in Nairobi, Uganda and the '60s was the time of Idi Amin. It was not a good time for anyone of European and Indian heritage to be living in East Africa. Most left with the clothes on their backs and their resourcefulness. It is uplifting to hear your travels in life.

Regards from Perth, Australia

Derek

Great video. Back in the 80's it was common knowledge that by saving literally hundreds of dollars on a Grizzly Import you often had to do some fine tuning or more. But it was worth it. Now a Grizzly Industrial Machine in many cases is more heavy duty and more professional than than established name brands that have shipped their manufacturing to South America and beyond. Thanks Mr Balolia.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Shiraz, thanks for sharing your story with us! It's great to see that one can still accomplish the American dream in this day and age. IIRC, you sir have gained a lot more skill on the gun range too!

In my shop I have Ridgid, Jet, Excalibur, Mini-Max, Powermatic and Grizzly tools. Two of my most used tools are my Grizzly jointer and sander. They are a lot of value for the price! Seriously, as a hobbyist, I am not sure I could justify being a woodworker if I had to pay the price of Powermatic or Mini-Max for all of my power tools. Thanks for providing tools that are a lot of bang for the buck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice video. I actually did not think I would watch the entire video, but I did.
    I liked the part about delivering a machine and when he got there the customer told him he had a bad back, and couldn't help. That was beautiful. Kinda like Craigslist these days. Drive two hours and then find out you have move it yourself.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-30-2019 at 7:15 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Very nice video, thanks for taking the time to make and share it with us......Rod

I have one of the very first Grizzly wood planers. No doubt Shiraz shipped it to me himself since he was a one man business in those days. At the time it was half the price of a Delta planer and I was surprised when I saw the price in a magazine. My planer has seen near commercial use since I purchased it back in the day. I operated a small wood drying kiln for many years and every load of wood was sent though my planer before being sold to local woodworkers.

The list of machines that I have purchased from Grizzly is very long, both woodworking and metalworking machines. Grizzly has always provided a great value and I can honestly say that without Grizzly I would never have been a a woodworker and eventually own my own sign making business. Who would have ever thought in the 1980's when I purchased my planer that in 2003 I would start a woodworking forum and Grizzly would be a major Sponsor. In a round about way my Grizzly planer has much to do with the existence of SawMill Creek.

Thanks Shiraz
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-01-2019 at 9:28 AM.

Shiraz, You have done what most people could only dream of, and with pose and good character. Our country could use a lot more people like you.

Thanks for supporting the Creek, in more ways then one.

Back in the late '80s my job took me to Bellingham several times a year and I made it a point to stop in at the original store almost every time. When they built the new headquarters and showroom it was an amazing upgrade.

Best fun fact: it all started with handguns at the shooting range. I understand these days he's a national class marksman.

Thanks for the video, Shiraz. I am now planning to visit the Bellingham location the next time I am over that way.

I found this video on YouTube through a recommendation. I enjoyed it and think you have done a great job. Thank you for sharing your story!