Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Composite boards - Garden boxes

If you want a composite material that is virtually indestructible, consider Rumber:

http://rumber.com/

They have an extensive product offering of various boards and sheets. The stuff is HEAVY so unless you have a distributor near you, the cost of shipping less than a tractor trailer load can be prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Ipe will last just about forever for this & is cheaper than most quality composite decking.
    5/4 ipe is less expensive than, and significantly stiffer than 8/4 fir (Code here allows 5/4 ipe decking to span 24" joist spacing, but requires 16" joist spacing for traditional 2x decking materials).

A friend used 2x Trex for a 3' retaining wall with supports every 4'. He had no apparent bowing or structural problems, but the Trex surface [back then, anyway] eroded very badly, becoming very rough and crumbly. Same for my Trex lawn edging.

Hi Andrew, this might not be what you're looking for however here is what I made.

The top is 2 X 6 cedar with M&T construction using Titebond III for glue. Once the top frame is glued the underside cleats are glued and screwed to the frame.

The raised bed is made from 24" square patio stones, they don't rot, the string trimmer doesn't damage them. The slabs are set 2" below grade.

You could supply the frames, leaving your customers to supply the slabs...............Regards, Rod.

Raised Backyard Beds.jpg

Blog Entries
    That's a cool idea.

These boxes are going to be above concrete. So they are self supporting, but I could involve stones and wood. I like this idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Andrew, this might not be what you're looking for however here is what I made.

The top is 2 X 6 cedar with M&T construction using Titebond III for glue. Once the top frame is glued the underside cleats are glued and screwed to the frame.

The raised bed is made from 24" square patio stones, they don't rot, the string trimmer doesn't damage them. The slabs are set 2" below grade.

You could supply the frames, leaving your customers to supply the slabs...............Regards, Rod.

Raised Backyard Beds.jpg
    Rod,

What type of finish did you use on the cedar?

Rod
    Those are great. No doubt the concrete patio stones look much better than wood after a couple of years. To place them on concrete would require a bottom frame but that shouldn't be hard to come up with, 2" x 1/8" galvanized strap would work. Would need one across the center (thru the dirt and laid flat on the concrete) to keep them from spreading. One across the top at the joints would take the strain off the wood so they could be made in any length and width.

How did you color the concrete? That could become a major feature.

Hi Andrew
    Those bolts on the inside look like a hazard to the hands when digging in the dirt