Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new Desk for me

Heart scan was an Ultra sound, with Contrast.....Knee appointment moved to next Monday afternoon....Blood thinner check up is tomorrow morning, then the ear doctor...then Menard's....Famliy dog is having ear surgery Thursday. And..Shop Cat Sir Campy has taken over the computer chair...
    MY chair.JPG
    So...added a footrest/brace to the back of the new desk...just pine..
    Computer Desk Assembly, foot rest.JPG
    can be painted black, if need be....more important that it braces the leg unit...
    hauled 5 planks to the shop..
    Computer desk top, 5 blanks.JPG
    3/4 x 5-1/2" by around 5-6'.....need these sorted through, bad spots trimmed out..
    Computer desk top, scrap.JPG
    While getting them down to 49" long...
    Computer desk top, 5 blanks trimmed.JPG
    Will need a lot of straight-line rips...
    Computer desk top, wane.JPG
    Until a 22" wide panel can be glued up for a top for the desk....knee is sore, right now...may be a day or two?
    stay tuned

Not much sleep last night, knee still acting up. tried to get a couple planks straight-line ripped...
    computer desk top, rip lines.JPG
    first 2 I went with 5" width....this one I had to go with 4"....Blue Line Special...
    computer desk top, rip saw.JPG
    This was wider, because..
    computer desk top, scrap knot.JPG
    Was trying to split the line, as well. Just didn't want that knot in the top of the desk...
    computer desk top, jointed edge.JPG
    Then ran the sawn edges through the Jointer....
    Computer desk top, Stanley No. 8.JPG
    Stanley No.8....test fits show an issue, with one edge...
    computer desk top, test fits.JPG
    Will go back and see which edge needs more work...still have 2 more to do...
    computer desk top, 2 more to do.JPG
    Figure I can go with a 4", 5", 4", 5", and another 4" set of widths....top needs to be 21-22" wide.
    maybe get a full night's sleep, and the knee calms down a bit....and see what I can get done, tomorrow?
    Stay tuned..

between road trips, and a very sore knee, didn't even try the shop, today....

Lack of sleep...does NOT lead to "good times" in a wood shop....bad things happen. Took today off.

Maybe tomorrow, I can go to the shop, fully rested up? Joint a few edges, rip two more boards for width....

IF the tablesaw was handy..
    computer desk assembly, up where I can work.JPG
    to where I could run the edges along the rip fence, THEN the Stanley No. 8 jointer.....I may be able to do a glue up? 3/4" x 22" x 49"? might take quite a few clamps?

Just need a better spot to set the desk, for now....
    1 x 6 x 6' pine has been bought....along with a box or two of 1" screws.
    While in Menard's...saw that they are selling Irwin/Record No. 4 hand planes? $20?

Stay tuned...

Moved things around in the shop this morning....found a place to stash the desk until needed...
    Computer desk top, stashed out of the way.JPG
    Trash can got moved elsewhere, cleaned the floor as far back as I could go...used the tablesaw for a little bit of "straight-line" ripping...
    Rearrange the shop.JPG
    Then used a few of the cut-offs as cawls....never have enough, right?
    Computer desk top, line up marks.JPG
    One clamp for a dry fit...then mark a couple lines across to act as line up marks...for when this mess becomes..
    Computer desk top, glue up 1.JPG
    I even cleaned the top of the bench off!
    Computer desk top, cleaned bench.JPG
    Won't stay that way, but was nice to do....the view got obscured though...
    Computer desk top, glue up 2.JPG
    Let this sit a day....may work on drawers...have parts to prep...maybe add the rest of the corner blocks?
    Stay tuned...

Knee is acting up, today....stairs seem to be a "no-no"....no rush on the glue-up, anyway....let it sit a while longer.

Rest of the corner blocks were installed, yesterday....glue and screws. Slotted holes to attach the top have been drilled.

May clamp the top to the desk, and try to flatten it...a little to big to do that on either the bench, or on the tablesaw....May get one side flat, attach that to the desk, then work on the other face....doubt if I will do a bread board on the ends....

Was getting bored, anyway....
    Computer desk top, corner brackets installed.JPG
    Slotted holes have been drilled.
    Computer desk top, glue joint scraper.JPG
    Dried glue scraped off...stanley #70.
    Computer desk top, under side cleaned up.JPG
    Between the sanders and this Jumbo Jack....got the underside cleaned up...ends were a tad wavy..
    Computer desk top, no longer wavy.JPG
    We have ways....flipped this over, and sanded and planed things flatter than they were..
    Computer desk top, flatten the top.JPG
    Stanley No. 5-1/2...Type 16...
    Finally cleaned off the tablesaw, plopped this down on the saw, "good side" down...then flipped the base onto the top...and centered it up...
    Computer desk top, top installed.JPG
    And attached with a few screws..
    Computer desk top, screwed down.JPG
    These weren't too bad to do....it was the ones inside the drawer unit..
    Computer desk top, crowded spot...JPG
    That were a pain to get to.....

Which means I can start on drawer making? Stay tuned...

Needed help to get that thing down off of my tablesaw, today....then hauled a few more planks to the shop...1 Ash, 3 Pine boards...1 x 6 x 6'

Got the drawer fronts cut to size...3/4" x 4-7/8" x 14"
    Got 8 drawer sides cut...3/4" x 4-7/8" x 18"
    Got 4 drawer backs...rough cut, will fine tune to the drawers.
    Computer Desk Drawers, parts.JPG
    Pile in the background is just some Ash leftovers....picked out the best 4 drawer fronts..( without big knots)
    Computer Desk Drawers, fronts.JPG
    The other two will go in the skinny drawers, as I only need 2" in height..
    Computer Desk Drawers, spares.JPG
    Which should get rid of them knots. set up the Stanley 45...
    Computer Desk Drawers, plough set-up.JPG
    With a #12 cutter. 1/4" groove 3/8" deep, with a 1/4" between the cutter, and the fence....then set up a jig to hold drawer fronts in place..
    Computer Desk Drawers, front grooved.JPG
    Fence was a bit too low, reset it, when I switched over to the drawer sides..
    Computer Desk Drawers, 8 sides grooved.JPG
    4 drawer fronts, and 4 pairs of drawer sides....made a lot of noodles, today..
    Computer Desk Drawers, wooden noodles.JPG
    Then started to change over to a dado plane..
    Computer Desk Drawers, ready for dado setup.JPG
    Swap out the #12 for the wider #18-1/2 cutter....seemed to match the thickness of the drawer sides. Drawer backs are housed in dados...
    Knee was acting up...didn't think I should be using sharp objects while taking a pain pill...called it a day....

I also checked on a set up for doing the dovetails for the fronts....been a while since I used this set up...
    Computer Desk Drawers, dovetail test run.JPG
    As I do not have a router jig for dovetails....pins are by eyeball...then mark the tails, bandsaw to make a few cuts...couple of chisels to clean up both parts...need a better face shield than just my glasses...beard is also full. One corner done....only 7 more to do....may see about a new dovetail bit...this one does not like Ash....

Computer Desk Drawers, 1 side grooved.JPG
    Reset the fence on the Stanley 45... and the jig...sides were about 4" longer..and needed a keeper to lock them in place.

Trash can is now about full...need to haul it to the fire pit....bring your own Marshmallows....

Monday afternoon...have an appointment to see the Knee Doctor....will update when I get back home...
    Stay tuned...

Knee had xrays done, was checked out...and given a shot, through a LONG needle.....seems Uncle Arthur has arrived in that knee....

Taking the day off...it is Monday after all...shop is closed on Monday's..usually.

Honey-do items for this morning....kitchen cabinets had already been repainted ( grandson & his girlfriend) but the knobs didn't look right....Just chrome knobs, even on the drawers..Found a box of Brass handles at a yard sale, a while back..5 pounds in a box = $5.....half were for doors, the other half for drawers. Had to dig out and modify a drawer handle drilling jig, to center the new handles on the drawers....
    Kitchen, new handles & paint 1.JPG
    Uppers and lowers...Gray face & cabinets, then a Blue for the doors and drawers
    Kitchen, re-handled.JPG
    Door handles just used the single hole from th old handles. Biggest thing was level and plumb...by MK1 eyeball....

Looked all over in town, last night, trying to find a face shield....the kind turners use, that flip up when done.....NADA. had to settle for a pair of goggles that fit over my glasses...well, they will keep the chips out of the eyes, if not the beard..

Knee feels a bit better, this morning..may try to hide in the shop, this afternoon?

Stay tuned...

4 hours of work....
    Computer Desk drawers, 4 done.JPG
    4 drawers have their dovetails done....was getting better each one i made..
    Computer Desk drawers, getting better.JPG
    Then got all the dados done, for the drawers backs to sit in..
    Computer Desk drawers, dados done.JPG
    All that is needed...the 5mm plywood for the drawer bottoms...that I have to go out and buy...then I can start some assembly work...
    trying to decide on a handle for these....
    Computer Desk drawers, handle, maybe.JPG
    Too big?

Stay tuned...

Coming along nicely, Steven. Best wishes that your knee and all don’t keep you from the shop. Curious about the #70. I have an opportunity to pick one up, but already have a couple of Stanley 80s that I use a lot. Does the #70 come in useful where the 80s wouldn’t? Thanks!

The 70 comes in nicely for removing labels, barcodes, dried glue....was made to recycle wooden shipping crates, by scraping off the old labels. Push or pull....

Also have the Stanley #82.....May give a try-out later...

Found enough plywood in the shop tonight....to do 2 of the 4 drawer bottoms. One drawer is in the clamps, second one awaiting....maybe in the morning, while I clean up the first.

Think of the #80 as a smooth plane...where the #70 is more of a scrub plane...

Good build Steve-coming along very nicely.

The Stanley scrapers are diamonds in the rough and capable of doing fine work, provided time is taken to set up the blade. A fine prep can be used, with a bit of a camber, to concentrate of cleaning up glue lines and so forth. lV makes a modern one, called a chair scraper, but the Stanleys are so common and cheap because no one seems to want them!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Going to back up a bit...Found some handles that might be better...
    Computer desk drawers, handles.JPG
    2 have been polished up...rest are a work in progress
    last night, got one drawer glued up....this morning, before a road trip..got the drawer out of the clamps..
    Computer desk drawers, before clean up.JPG
    needed a bit of clean up...sargent #408 seemed to work better..
    Computer desk drawers, 31 front clean up.JPG
    Details of the drawer back?
    Computer desk drawers, back details.JPG
    Starter ramps, to help a drawer into it's opening.
    Computer desk drawers, #2 front, inside clean up.JPG
    Drawer front #2 was cupped a bit...no biggie..
    Computer desk drawers, #2 front clean up.JPG
    Both faces are now flat....Dados get cleaned out..
    Computer desk drawers, dado cleaner.JPG
    Pilot holes were drilled..
    Computer desk drawers, countersink, drill.JPG
    And counter sunk...ready for another glue up..
    Stay tuned