Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new Desk for me

This is your best work! Nice

As the old saying goes..."But, wait, there's MORE.."

Old desk has a hutch...so this new desk will also get one made. Tower for the computer now sits way too high..
    Computer Desk Hutch, tower.JPG
    Would rather it sit closer to the top of the desk...right about...here..
    Computer Desk Hutch, old hutch.JPG
    I can do away with all of this clutter, maybe a low self for the tower to sit on....Monitor could be raised up a few inches, as well...
    I have a slab of 1 x 8 Ash, needs cut to length. It does have a bit of "Live edge" along one edge....may keep that detail...

Uprights: need at least 3, one on each side of the tower, and one over on the right end of the hutch. Maybe a couple bottom shelves for things to sit on. Then see IF there is enough room over on the right for more "cubbies" to stash small items on....may need a fourth upright...

Need to find out how much air space the tower needs. Uprights are from the remaining 1 x 6 planks I have. Debating enclosing the back of the hutch, except where the tower will be. happen to have some fancy grained plywood on hand. Will try to get a paper "Plan" done, later today.....

Hmmmm, maybe leave an inch of space all around that tower.......or, just on the vent side.....

More pictures of the computer tower? To see what I am working with?
    Computer Desk Hutch, Tower vent.JPG
    This is where all the air is drawn in...and sent out the back..
    Computer Desk Hutch, fan vents.JPG
    it has two fans. Also need a spot close by, to park this thing...
    Computer Desk Hutch, hard drive.JPG
    4T Hard drive. May set it on the shelf with the monitor.
    99% of the side vent/intake will be out in front of the Hutch's side....there will be at least 1" of space around the tower.
    Top of Hutch has a Live Edge detail....
    Computer Desk Hutch, live edge top.JPG
    This may be the underside of the front edge. 4/4 x 6 x 6' planks...
    Computer Desk Hutch, 1 x 6s.JPG
    Will get used for the sides and shelves...
    may only enclose the back of the cubby area, to keep things from getting shoved out the back..
    Stay tuned...almost time for sawdust, again...
    The Plan...
    Computer Desk Hutch, The Plan.JPG
    Might take a while....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-25-2019 at 7:22 PM.

Worked on the top shelf, today...among other things, before the dryer ran me out of the shop...
    Computer Desk Hutch, top shelf jointed.JPG
    Non-live edge was jointed...Stanley No.8...the live edge?
    Computer Desk Hutch, live edge cleaned up.JPG
    bark removed with a wide chisel...then the edge cleaned up with the spokeshave. No.8 was too long to joint this edge. used both a vintage saw..
    Computer Desk Hutch, round corners.JPG
    To cut a front corner...and a spokeshave to round the edges over..
    Computer Desk Hutch, round-overs.JPG
    Then set the top shelf aside, for now...
    Computer Desk Hutch, top shelf done.JPG
    Decided on "bevel down" like most of my hand planes are

Hauled a plank to the shop....cuts to get as many 18-3/4" long blanks as I could....
    Computer Desk Hutch, 3 uprights blanks.JPG
    Not a straight edge among them...most were cupped...plus, I needed FOUR uprights....hmmm
    Had to bring another plank to the shop...just for one upright, and 2 shelves...
    Computer Desk Hutch, more parts.JPG
    Planes to joint the edges straight ( tablesaw to make them parallel, and THEN square the ends)
    planes to remove the cup...
    Computer Desk Hutch, scrub a cup.JPG
    Millers Falls No.14...first across the grain, then the diagonals...then a Sargent No. 408 to smooth things out....
    Stay tuned...

Ah yes, that Sargent #408....is the same size as the Stanley No. 3
    Computer Desk Hutch, No. 408 smoother.JPG
    So, I got the uprights to match each other...other than thickness....thicker ones to the outside, thinner to the insides, then worked on a few shelf blanks..
    Computer Desk Hutch, 2 shelves.JPG
    3 uprights (will see about getting the live edges to line up) and 2 shelves....one for the tower to sit on, the longer one for the monitor....then went through some of the cut-offs...
    Computer Desk Hutch, 4 cubby shelves.JPG
    And, came up with 4 shelf blanks for the cubby-holes. need to figure out what joint I'll use ( dado, sliding DT, ?) then figure out the spacing for the cubby shelves...18" -:- 4 shelves =? So..5 equal spaces? with the 3/4" for each shelf.....may just lay things out until they look right...too much math
    Stay tuned

Ok, decided to just use stopped dados. So...found a pair of 1/2" straight cutters....with 1/2" shanks. Which means I need 2 wrenches..
    Router set up, wrenches.JPG
    To loosen and remove the bit currently in the router...
    Router set up, old bit.JPG
    Then install and roughly set one of the 1/2" bits...
    Router set up, new bit.JPG
    In my $5 yard sale router ( bought a few years ago..)
    Router set up, DeWalt router.JPG
    DeWalt No. 610. Need to set up a guide for the dados, and figure out where they will stop at. Depth settings may change, for some locations....may a bit shallower?
    maybe someday, I can find the correct wrenches, and a new base? We'll see.
    Stay tuned...

router depth needed set...router guide needed set...
    Computer Desk Hutch, dado layout.JPG
    Needed to find out where the fence needed to be, so the router would make a stopped dado...and needed to know WHERE to stop the cut..
    Computer Desk Hutch, dado cut.JPG
    Then square the ends with a chisel...once a board had all of it's dados done..
    Computer Desk Hutch, squared dados.JPG
    Had to offset a couple dados, board would have been a tad too thin..
    Computer Desk Hutch, offset dados.JPG
    had to keep checking where the cuts were going...almost cut one from the wrong edge...
    Ends get a "tenon" of sorts...to fit the dados...thought I had the cubby shelves sized for length..
    Computer Desk Hutch, shelves too short.JPG
    "The truth, warts and all.." Ooops. went back, made 4 new shelves...tenon the ends, dry fit...1/4" too long..redo again until..
    Computer Desk Hutch, fixed shelves.JPG
    Everything fit. Thinking maybe a door over these shelves? Already get a plywood back...maybe a frame & panel door?

Dry fit the entire mess, to see how many clamps will be needed...
    Computer Desk Hutch, first dry fit.JPG
    Hmmm, may need to go back to Harbor Freight, for a few more clamps?

Need to run a rebate behind the cubbies' shelves, to house the back...May have to glue this up in sections? With the center section last, along with the top.
    Stay tuned..

Snuck back down to the shop for a bit....spread a bit of glue around, AFTER a rebate was milled...
    Computer Desk Hutch, cubby hole assembled.JPG
    Found a piece of 5mm plywood about the right width ( saving the fancy stuff for later) so..
    Computer Desk Hutch, back installed,.JPG
    Glue and brass nails. And, since I had a few clamps left over...
    Computer Desk Hutch, left side glue up.JPG
    2 clamps to glue the shelf for the tower to sit on....the other 3 were to pull things square with the top shelf. Glued only the tower shelf, will glue this to the top shelf later,,have the Monitor shelf to glue between the two assemblies, and everything to the top shelf...should be an entertaining day may need a little help on that job....
    For some reason...I am a little tired....busy day?
    Stay tuned....I might even work on a Monday.

Steven, i love watching you build piece after piece. sometimes you don't get a lot of comments, but we really do appreciate following along.

I agree! Fun to watch you tool solutions and using what's on hand.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

So, clamps came off. Bought a package of screws...added a few screws to each glue joint..
    Computer Desk Hutch, screws added.JPG
    On this cubby hole assembly, that = 16 screws ( 17, counting the one that snapped off)

Clear the top of the saw, needed a space to do a glue up on
    Computer Desk Hutch, first assembly installed.JPG
    Clamped the top to the saw, hammer to"adjust" the fit...4 clamps and some glue...had to run an errand....
    Came back, added a few screws to the tower shelf assembly, then sanded it down...Had to "flip" the monitor shelf over, to get the best edge to show..then..
    Computer Desk Hutch, all glued up.JPG
    We have this forest of clamps....after I had to rotate the top around to work on the Tower shelf assembly...a few "taps" with the hammer to line things up, let this sit a day, while my rehabbed knee rests up....along with those brass screws, I picked up some brackets to attach the Hutch to the Desk..
    Computer Desk Hutch, brackets.JPG
    "L" brackets go around back, one per upright.....fancy brackets go out front, one per upright....
    Once the forest of clamps is removed, I can add the screws on top....sand everything down, and maybe some stain? IF I have enough...
    stay tuned..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-30-2019 at 2:02 AM.

The forest of clamps has been put away...Hutch has been sanded, a round over done to the fronts of a few shelves, and screws through the top into the uprights added (in case someone tries to move this desk by lifting the top shelf)
    Computer Desk Hutch, ,more screws.JPG
    Then, set it on top of the desk...while I set up to stain the blasted thing..
    Computer Desk Hutch, out of the clamps.JPG
    Finally got everything that will show, stained...and placed the hutch back onto the desk...had other jobs to do..
    Computer Desk Hutch, resaw door parts.JPG
    Like resawing some frame parts for a door. Then the stiles and rails got a groove milled, the rails got a tenon on each end...
    Computer Desk Hutch, door frame.JPG
    used these parts to size a fancy plywood panel, and then a dry fit...
    Computer Desk Hutch, door dry fit.JPG
    Hmmm, so I can hide the booze in one of the cubby holes?
    Letting the stain dry, and the knee rest...homework for the knee rehab resulted in a Charlie Horse....then, a single lap around the inside of Wall E World plumb wore me out. Just for a pair of new brushes for the shellac. Maybe later this evening, I can get the door glued up?
    Stay tuned...

Door parts, at least the Ash ones, have been planed smooth with a No.11 Junior jack plane...glue spread around, clamps and cauls added..
    Computer Desk Door, inside.JPG
    Inside of the door, and..
    Computer Desk Door, outside face.JPG
    the outside of the door. Trying to decide which way the grain should run on the panel...we are either looking as it will go in the hutch, or,...it is upside down..
    Dug out some small hinges, and a latch...
    Computer Desk Door, hardware.JPG
    Will have to relocate one bracket ( good thing I haven't attached them yet ) as it will keep the door from opening all the way..
    Computer Desk Hutch, front brackets and drill.JPG
    The one on the right...( like the pilot hole drill?)
    Once the door is out of the clamps, and cleaned up...I can give it a coat of stain, too...and see some grainy plywood pop.

Once that stain is dry, I can shellac the entire Hutch...a few times...Moving day might be this weekend? Old desk will be heading for the curb....
    Stay tuned..

Just a PIP, for now...Door is out of the clamps, sanded and stained....and a finish applied...Hutch has been given two coats of shellac...allowed to dry, then the brackets along the back were installed...
    Computer Desk Hutch, back bracket installed.JPG
    last two screws will be installed, once the desk is upstairs...Got the door installed ( did you know there is a screwdriver size smaller than a #1 Phillips tip?)
    Computer Desk Hutch, door latch and hinges.JPG
    Front Brackets were installed, there is one just around that corner, to allow the door to open, the other three?
    Computer Desk Hutch, front brackets done.JPG
    Still need a another coat of shellac on the hutch...step back a bit.......
    Computer Desk Hutch, PIP.JPG
    a PIP!....and from the other direction...
    Computer Desk Hutch, PIP 2.JPG
    Almost done. Desk can be taken apart to be moved....Ash is a bit on the heavy side...
    Stay tuned...

Last coat has dried. been rubbed down. Had to add shims at the door, door opened 1/2 way then started dragging on the desk's top...

IF I can find enough young bodies, desk is ready to move out of the shop, and into it's new spot. Biggest thing is moving the old desk out, without disrupting the computer itself. Might be a bit tricky? Drawers I can carry meself, and the Hutch. need to stash the computer off to the side, while things get switched around. need to attach the hutch, THEN slide the desk into place. Old desk will be heading to the curb....

Old desk lamp has died....so I now have a new BRIGHTER LED one....almost need sunglasses....

Should I post pictures of the finished desk here, or down in the Projects page...or both?