Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A new Desk for me

back was about a saw kerf too long..also needed squared up....Glue spread around the tails...assemble the parts..
    Computer desk drawers, checked for square.JPG
    Check for square...add the screws at the back, then the clamps to the front..
    Computer desk drawers, #2 glued up.JPG
    Recheck for square, then screw the bottom to the drawers back. let this mess sit awhile...have supplies to get.
    handles use a single bolt....needed to find the center of the drawer's front..
    Computer desk drawers, center finder.JPG
    Just a straightedge...diagonals, make a mark each way...where they cross is the center point.
    Computer desk drawers, pilot holes, back.JPG
    Even the drill for the pilot holes is a "Vintage" tool...
    stay tuned

Too bleeding hot to work, today....even the basement shop is too warm...Got a coat of stain on the two drawers I have completed....then did a test of the handles...
    Computer Desk Drawers, handle test fit.JPG
    (Hand-held camera) Details?
    Computer Desk Drawers, handle details.JPG
    Center "boss" is brass.
    Just might do....stain seems a tad too light....maybe.

Enjoying this very much. Keep on going Steven, four hours a day. The good news is you get a lot done in four hours. That's going to be a stout desk.

Waited until the shop cooled down, this evening...even in a basement, things are still warm...Moved the desk around a bit..
    Computer Desk Drawers, over view.JPG
    Not only to fit the 2 drawers better, but give me a bit more room to cut....
    Computer Desk Drawers, next bottoms.JPG
    More plywood, to make more drawer bottoms with...
    Computer Desk Drawers, bottoms done.JPG
    Had an issue while fitting the first 2 drawers...raised panels sticking into the inside of the drawer openings....decided to plane the sides down...
    Computer Desk Drawers, shavings.JPG
    Swept the results over with the rest of the mess...weapon of choice?
    Computer Desk Drawers, shavings maker.JPG
    Old No. 14,of course...Set up the rip fence..
    Computer Desk Drawers, rip fence, skinny.JPG
    The two "extra" drawer front blanks, with the knots? seems a 2" width of cut would just miss them knots....needed 2 decent blanks..
    Computer Desk Drawers, 2 skinny fronts.JPG
    had to plane one edge a hair...
    Maybe IF the shop stays cool, tomorrow, I can build 2 drawers, and get 2 more ready to build...
    Stay tuned...
    Computer Desk Drawers, Ash shavings.JPG
    And yes. ... it also works on Ash....

Way too toasty in the shop for doing too much work....got drawers #3 and #4 glued and screwed and in the clamps..

Computer Desk Drawers, two assembled.JPG
    Pilot holes drilled, and counter-sunk. Starter bevels cut. Squared up, and the bottom screwed to the back.
    Spent some time doing rips and resaws...
    Computer Desk Drawers, skinny drawer parts.JPG
    4 sides, ripped to 2" width, 18" long.....1/2" thick. Drawer fronts stay at 3/4" thickness. Backs were 1/2" narrower than the sides, to allow for the bottoms.
    had to use up a bit of the Ash scraps....wasn't enough Pine 1 x 3 x 4" to make all the sides.
    Computer Desk Drawers, skinny details.JPG
    Fun part will be both ploughing the grooves, and doing some dovetails...
    Got to about this point...shirt was soaked...time to quit..
    Will see how tomorrow goes....stay tuned

This morning, while the shop was still cool....got the drawers out of the clamps...
    Computer Desk Drawers. #3 clean up.JPG
    Sides were planed as needed, sanded as needed, and test fitted ( once I had them in the correct order.)
    Computer Desk Drawers, four drawers.JPG
    Then, take them out, sand the fronts, stain the fronts, and install the handles...
    Computer Desk Drawers, all finished.JPG
    Then started milling dovetails for the skinny drawers...someday, I might get the hang of these...
    Skinny Drawers, tails fitted.JPG
    Only had enough plywood on hand, for one drawer bottom....had that drawer all put together, and in the clamps..
    Skiiny Drawers, right drawer assembled.JPG
    Test fit showed the back was 1/8" too wide....Grrrr, take the back out, trim for length, re-install it...test fit again...
    Skinny Drawers, it fits....JPG
    It FITS! Laid out the choices for the edge trimming bits, for around the desk's top..
    Skinny Drawers, edge choices.JPG
    Will decide later which to use, right now, I need to go and buy one small plywood panel..
    Stay tuned..

Plywood has been bought...had to buy the 2' x 4' sheet....didn't like the looks of the 1/4" Pine panels....they had more curves the a Playboy pinup...

Skinny drawer has it's clamps off, been fitted in it's new home...sanded, stained, and the handle installed...will see what the morning brings...

Ok, seems a shame to cut a drawer bottom out of this....
    Skinny Drawers, plywood panel.JPG
    This is the 5mm Luann I came home with. 2'x4' panel....only need a 14" x 18" piece...
    Drawer had two issues preventing it from closing all the way..
    A corner bracket that attaches the top to the desk was a hair too low...back corner of the drawer was hitting it....lowered the back corner of the drawer to clear (barely)
    Too much plywood sticking out the back of the drawer....trimmed that off, until the drawer fit all the way in, flush with the face frame...
    Skinny Drawers, right hand done.JPG
    need to get the last drawer done, stain the case, edge the top, and stain it too...then find a way to add the coat or two of varnish....
    Once the desk is out of the shop, I can work on the hutch for it...
    Stay tuned...

Top has been cleared off....beltsanded, ROS sanded, and finally..
    Computer Desk Top, sander.JPG
    Wiped down. Corners out front were rounded...
    Computer Desk Top, round corner.JPG
    Sabresaw is older than I am... Then the router was changed to a small round-over bit....and run all the way around the top..
    Computer Desk Top, rounded edges.JPG
    One more wipe down, then a coat of stain applied...
    Computer Desk Top, Stain drying.JPG
    Once it dries, it will lighten to match the drawers, came from the same can..
    Brought that plywood to the shop, picked out the area without all that showy grain, and cut out a drawer bottom...then glue, screws, and clamps..
    Computer Desk Top, last drawer...JPG
    Waiting on stain, and glue to dry....Maybe this evening, I can flip the desk over on it's top, and onto the top of the tablesaw...and stain the rest of the desk? I can still get the last drawer fitted, stained, and handled, too

Stay tuned....

Last drawer is now out of the clamps, fitted to it's opening, sanded and stained....and the handle installed. Waiting on help to move the bench onto it's top on the tablesaw's top...where I can see and stain the rest of the desk....

May leave it up there a day, and then start a coat of varnish....stay tuned..

Desk is now on it's top, sitting on top of my tablesaw ( yes, blade was lowered below the top) and..
    Computer Desk finishing, all stained.JPG
    If'n it be Ash, and it would show..it got a coat of stain...pine foot rest may get a coat of Black paint/stain...
    Had to get into all the nooks and crannies...
    Computer Desk finishing, inside.JPG
    And I probably missed a couple spots...will let this smelly thing sit here until it no longer smells up the shop....then see how much varnish I have on hand...
    Stay tuned ( and hold yer nose..)

Nice design. thanks for the build thread.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

2 coats of Amber Shellac on the base...rubbed out with 0000 steel wool....

have flipped the desk off the saw, and onto it's own six feet....and 1st coat has been brushed onto the top...letting that dry a bit...rub it with the 0000SW, and add a second coat...

Almost time for a PIP?

stay tuned...

Just a PIP....still need to build the Hutch for the computer to sit in...also out of that Ash lumber..
    Pip #3.JPG
    And....
    PIP #4.JPG
    need to "buff" the top, may add a third coat...we'll see. Time to work on the topper, now.

Nice job, Bandit!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.